Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding through radical hysterectomy

Default Breastfeeding through radical hysterectomy

I've recently been diagnosed with stage 1B1 cervical cancer and will be getting radical hysterectomy on Monday. Although I'm still very upset about cancer taking away my ability to have more children, I am *determined* to not let it take away my ability to feed my baby. I'm having a bit of a difficult time finding any info on drug safety and am hoping someone my know of an online resource. In particular I need to know about LiquiPrep. It's a drug used to clear your bowels prior to surgery. Does anyone know if I can bf with this in my system? I only need to take 1 dose at 3 pm the day before my surgery. I would really like to be able to nurse as long as I can since I'll have to pump & dump the day of the surgery. Thanks!

Default Re: Breastfeeding through radical hysterectomy

Call Infantrisk. (806)-352-2519 - Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time.

I'm sorry you are going through this and am hoping for a speedy recovery for you!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: Breastfeeding through radical hysterectomy

Call Infantrisk. They are the experts on drugs and breastfeeding and will give you the info you need. I've read that you can continue to breastfeed through a hysterectomy, and I hope this works out for you too! In your shoes, I know that continuing to nurse would be very important to me as well.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.