Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing production at 4 months

Default Increasing production at 4 months

Has anyone ever not been able to ncrease production until the baby was older?

Long story short, an almost total blood loss post partum left me with a reduced milk supply. I make about 1.5 oz per feed. I feed 6-7 time a day and pump 2-3 times at night. I tried everything to increase production and gave up on the pumping after every feeding around 10 weeks.

So, now baby nurses for maybe 10 min before getting her supplement. I pumped a couple of times after those short feeding and got maybe 15 ml, but that seems like a lot given my total output.

So, my question is this. Should I pump after feeding again? I wouldn't do this all the time, to save my sanity, but when I am home is it worth it? Has anyone ever known of someone who could increase their production at this point when they couldn't before?

Default Re: Increasing production at 4 months

It's never too late to increase supply. Increasing is generally easier in the early days, but the supply = demand equation works at any stage. Nurse more or pump more, and you'll make more. Did you ever rent a hospital-grade pump? That could make a big difference for you- women who use hospital-grade pumps typically get more milk with less effort.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is never too late to increase production! Try drinking some Mother's Milk Tea and nursing/pumping as much as possible. It is not uncommon to increase production later and the benefits are totally worth the try at least!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I understand that in general nursing and pumping more will increase supply; however, I nursed on demand and pumped with a hospital pump after every feeding and saw no increase. So you can understand my doubts.

Yet I wonder if now that my body as healed more whether this would be possible. Has anyone ever known someone for hom this was the case? I'm not sure I'm up for trying if there is little chane of success, given my past failed efforts

the best way to increase your supply - if it'll work for you, given your difficulties at the birth - is to let the baby nurse. pumping is just a 2nd best. so one way you could try is to simply try to get her eating more at the breast, less from supplements. i think there's a page on kellymom.com about weanign from supplements ... sorry can't link now. i don't think any of us know for sure what will happen for you, but if you're really feeling better, i would think it's certainly worth a try. good luck and keep us posted!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*supersarrr View Post
    I understand that in general nursing and pumping more will increase supply; however, I nursed on demand and pumped with a hospital pump after every feeding and saw no increase. So you can understand my doubts.
    I can completely understand why you're questioning whether or not this will work. It's quite possible that things will be different now that your body is healed, and has more energy to spare. If not, well then at least you will never wonder "what if?".

Make sure you have the right size of breast shields, combine hand-expression/breast massage with pumping, take some fenugreek, consider using Rx drugs (Reglan or Domperidone, depending on where you are located- ask your doc/midwife!), and give it a try!

Here's the kellymom link the PP mentioned: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are your horns the right size?

If you can, let baby nurse and nurse and nurse. Better than any pump

All this said, there is a small percentage of moms who can't make 100% of what their babies need and have to redefine what their success is. I saw a mom yesterday I've been working with for some years, and she can't feed her baby at the breast 100%, but she is still breastfeeding as much as she can. And it's OK.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!