Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Confused, just don't know what to do????

Question So Confused, just don't know what to do????

I have a 5 1/2 month old and I have been nursing her since she was born. I started to supplement with formula around 3 1/2 months because it seemed like she wasn't getting full. I continued to do that and started to just nurse her at night and it worked really well. The bonding is wonderful and I love nursing and so does she, the problem is the birth control I have to be on while nursing causes me to have a period every other week and it is very frustrating. I was also told that because of this I would not be protected as well from getting pregnant and I do not want any more babies. I decided to take her off the breast so I could get back on the birth control that would prevent me from getting pregnant because it seemed like priority right now. I am so confused, I want the best nutrition for my baby and I love to nurse her but don't want to risk getting pregnant. I am in the process of drying up my breasts as we speak and dont know if I should stop the process???? HELP!!!!

Default Re: So Confused, just don't know what to do????

Welcome to the forum! Can you tell us what form of birth control you are using right now? Is it the mini-pill? If so, spotting in between periods is a common side-effect. And can you tell us what form of birth control you want to use- is it the combination pill (Ortho-Tricyclen or its generic competitors)? Also, do you have any objections to using IUDs?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

IMO if your this undecided about it keep nursing. You can always 'dry up' later but re-lactating is very difficult. However, you are the only one that can set your priorities. As far as birth control that can be taken while BFing I don't know anything. My husband and I decided to use condoms because of BFing and the possible complications of hormonal birth control on BFing that I read about. But it is my understanding that there are several to choose from. Hopefully someone with some more experience will chime in. I know the ladies here will be helpful with whatever you choose.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

I was on orhto tri cyclen regular for eight years after I had my son, my babies are 9 years apart. That is the one I want to be on because it was very effective for all those years, but it is not safe for the baby. I am so nervous about being on this birth control and it not being as effective! Not a fan of IUDs, have heard a lot of bad things about them.

Also the periods are full periods every other week, not just spotting.

Oh sorry the birth control I am on right now is called NORA BE

there are lots of bc that are completley compatible with bf. i don't know of, but am curious about, research that shows any of them to be less effective while bf. there are some folks who see a drop in supply with progesterone bc (is this correct??), but there are lots of options that don't have progesterone. i'm quite happy with my mirena IUD, for example.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

NORA BE looks like the same thing as the progestin-only mini-pill. The reason breastfeeding women are given the mini-pill rather than the combination pill is not that the mini-pill is "safe" for the baby and the combination pill is not. The reason is that the mini-pill is much less likely to decrease supply than the combination pill. So don't choose to wean just because of the safety issue. The combination pill is likely to impact your supply, but that does not mean you have to go and dry yourself up.

There are a lot of birth control choices out there that are totally safe for breastfeeding. All the barrier methods are safe (condoms, diaphragm, sponge, cervical cap), and there are 2 IUD choices out there: Mirena (generally safe for breastfeeding), and ParaGard (the non-hormonal IUD, always safe for breastfeeding). And if you are done having kids, there's always vasectomy or tubal ligation. Let us know if any of those interest you- we'd be happy to critique our birth control choices and help you find one that is right for you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The pill you want, the Tri Cyclin, has estrogen in it, which will kill your supply. If a BF mama wants to take the pill, she takes a progestin-only pill. It is possible you need a different form of progestin to stop the every other week breakthrough bleeding, so ask your doctor about that.

The IUD is actually pretty safe, but a minority of BFing mothers do have supply issues.

All barrier methods are compatible with breastfeeding.

Also, if you are sure you don't want any more babies, you or your husband could have surgery.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Personally I have used condoms my entire adult life and never got pregnant except when I wanted to. They have a bad rep effectiveness-wise but a recent study showed that when used correctly by women who were motivated to use them every single time, they became much more effective. But nothing is foolproof.

If the only bc you are going to be comfortable on is one that will be unsafe for baby, that is that. I would suggest considering weaning as gently and gradually as possible while still safegarding yourself.

Is your prefered bc actually unsafe for your baby or is it only contraindicated due to the likely effect on milk supply? You could check with infantrisk on that.

"We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519" ( www.infantrisk.com )