Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to discourage biting?

Default How to discourage biting?

When DS's teeth are hurting, he's been biting down on me and, of course, it HURTS.....BAD!!!! What can I do? Anything?

Default Re: How to discourage biting?

how old is your DS? when my DS started this it didn't last very long. I would unlatch him and look into his eyes and say sternly NO. if I re latched him and it continued past a second warning, nursing stopped for a few minutes.... my son was a toddler (14months-ish)
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

with all of the above. My baby would also bite down as he was falling asleep for awhile. Thus, I had to end nursing sessions after he stopped actively sucking and before he started drifting off to sleep during that time. The sleepy biting ended once whichever teeth he was working on at the time finally cut through.

@phi, how old was your baby at the time? My almost 4mo is clamping down a lot lately and yanking back. I try to pop my finger in there to unlatch her pretty quickly and tell her no but she just laughs

Im wondering how to discourage this while she's so little. My nipples are getting sore!
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together

Hmmm - good question. We had a couple bouts of biting, one early on - maybe around 4 months, it's hard to remember exactly - and one later around 10-11 months. When he would laugh about it, I would put him down, say biting hurts, and turn away from him for several seconds. He would cry for those few seconds, then I would pick him up and cuddle him explaining that I love him, but biting is mean. He probably couldn't understand the words, but I think it never hurts to explain because eventually babies do begin to understand - possibly earlier than we realize. The turning away thing worked to curb the biting for amusement pretty quickly.

ETA: During the 10-11 month biting phase I actually had to get up and leave the room for about 30 second because he could pull himself up and crawl on me and continue to laugh, but that's not a problem when they are really little.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; May 11th, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).