Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No carb diet ok?

Default No carb diet ok?

My beachbody coach coach wants me to go on a no carb diet. I told him I would have to check and make sure that it is ok to do while I am breastfeeding. I think I should do a healthy low carb instead of a no carb. Suggestions?

Default Re: No carb diet ok?

No carb is probably okay for nursing, but IMO a healthy low-carb diet is probably better for you and for baby.

Are you going to be doing a lot of exercise? The reason I ask is that one thing moms often don't realize is that tight or ill-fitting sports bras can be detrimental to milk supply and can cause plugged ducts. If you haven't gotten a really good sports bra recently, now is the time! Title Nine sells good ones: http://www.titlenine.com/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've started doing the Paleo diet, which involves eating no grains at all. All the carbs I get are from fruit and veggies. It's been about 2 months since I started and I have seen no adverse effects on breastfeeding (and I feel healthier). I am not doing it for weight loss, though, so I am not counting calories. I just eat until I'm full and make sure that I'm drinking tons of water. Here's an article that talks about low-carb diets and breastfeeding that may help you decide: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nursi...#axzz1nG7S9Ih9.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amarirachellekiana View Post
    My beachbody coach coach wants me to go on a no carb diet. I told him I would have to check and make sure that it is ok to do while I am breastfeeding. I think I should do a healthy low carb instead of a no carb. Suggestions?

I would do South Beach phase 2 and 3 only.

Way too lazy for formula

depends on what "no carbs" means. I would not give up fruits and veggies while breastfeeding. No way, no how. I would, however, be okay limiting the amount of grains, ya know? I don't know if you will have enough energy if you aren't getting any carbs while breastfeeding. I would be inclined to talk to your coach about having grains in the morning.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

No carbs would mean... only protein and fat? I'm not an expert by any means, but I wouldn't think it would provide adequate nutrition for either you or your baby if you're not getting any fruits or vegetables. A healthy low carb diet sounds like the better option to me. LLL recommends eating a wide variety of foods in as a close to their natural state as possible.

Here are a couple articles on low carb diets while breastfeeding --

LLL FAQ on low carb diets

Kellymom - Low carb diets and breastfeeding
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; May 7th, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

My OBGYN told me at my 6 week post partum check up to avoid no carb diets because some carbs are required for your health. I think that the fact you stipulated 'healthy low carb' you know that the alternative is no good for you, and thus your baby.

That is a great article from Mark. I would definitely watch your supply closely. Traditionally, the most lactogenic foods (milk-creating) have been grains: oats, quinoa, millet, and barley. If you already produce enough milk, a lower-carb diet would be OK for you. If you notice your supply dropping, you could bring in small amounts of these grains and see how you feel!

i did the no-carb Atkins in between ds4 and dd5.
    I lost weight BUT I got so damn weak.
    IMHO.. don't do it.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

No carbs? Or no grains? No carbs is ridiculously unhealthy. Read about what that much protein will do for your kidneys. If it's not a diet you can follow the rest of your life I wouldn't bother with it, because you'll lose a lot of water wt quickly, since carbs retain water, but when you eat normally again you'll gain it back. And I don't think it's reasonable to expect your body to have energy to exercise if you're not fueling it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.