Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS Not Fully Supporting His Back

Default DS Not Fully Supporting His Back

Hi! My DS is just over 6 months old. He is not yet able to fully support his own back. However, yesterday during lunch, I had him on my lap, supporting him sitting on me while having a banana at lunch. During the conversation I was having with DH, DS pulled the my hand holding the banana to his mouth, and chomped!

I did BLS with my DD, and it was brilliant, and have plans to do it with DS. But since he's not able to support his own back just yet, should I be avoiding these types of opportunities for him? He handled the tiny bit of banana he had just fine yesterday, but I'm unsure if I should be encouraging him just yet, or wait until he's sitting up on his own without assistance.

Any advice from you lovely LLLadies?

Thank you!
    I'm Terri, a Canadian living in England.

Married my soul mate in September, 2008 and share the same wedding anniversary as my parents and grandparents.

Mommy to S born 19/03/2010 and to Z 01/11/2011

We always, and we love as much as possible.

"When you're moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star" - Stevie Wonder, Jammin'

Default Re: DS Not Fully Supporting His Back

I think you are fine allowing your LO to try some banana. Yes, sitting unsupported is one of the signs of readiness for solids, but it's not the only one and your baby certainly gave you a much more important one: grabbing your banana and stuffing it in his mouth! Don't get too hung up on the motor milestones. Some babies reach them earlier, some later, and they don't really have much to do with the baby's readiness to try and digest solids. Yeah, a 3 month-old who can't sit unsupported is obviously not ready for bananas, but what about an 8 month old? You wouldn't deny him the opportunity to try solids just because he wasn't fast out of the gate on a particular motor milestone... Right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

dont sweat it!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks ladies! It's kind of what I thought, but then started over thinking it! Our babies are so clever, aren't they?
    I'm Terri, a Canadian living in England.

Married my soul mate in September, 2008 and share the same wedding anniversary as my parents and grandparents.

Mommy to S born 19/03/2010 and to Z 01/11/2011

We always, and we love as much as possible.

"When you're moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star" - Stevie Wonder, Jammin'