Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At a loss as to what to do!

Default Re: At a loss as to what to do!

all four LC's ended up telling you to express and give a bottle??
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I have tried reverse pressure softening Mommal, but latching is not really the problem, she can latch but it sprays immediately in to her mouth, reverse pressure softening does not help this. Peppermint makes no difference to my supply, cabbage leaves make engorgement feel better but does not seem to reduce supply or slow flow. Mommal, do you know much about using BCP for 4-7 days to reduce supply? Will hold off if things are likely to improve soon but just not sure if they will and We really are struggling, every day is such a struggle. My almost 3 yr old tells people that "mummy doesn't have time for me anymore" my whole day revolves around feeding, and that can't be right!

You said reverse pressure doesn't work. So when you lay on your back and put her on top of you to nurse or leave her in a sitting position while on your back that makes no difference either?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes all 4 LC's suggested trying a bottle as a last resort because nothing seemed to work. She will not nurse when I lay on my back, but the few times that she has, she still chokes. At the moment I nurse her in my ergo, as she is then upright, but she chokes and pulls off constantly and screams and fights to get away. I try to catch her when she is tired and she will finally fall asleep nursing.

I'm afraid I know pretty much nothing about BCP and oversupply. But based on what you're saying, I don't think I'd be afraid to give it a try.

Did anyone ever check your baby for tongue tie? Decreased tongue mobility could be making it harder for her to cope with the fast letdowns.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow, what a tough case you've got going on! it must be so hard to hear your 3 year old say things like that.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

She had tongue tie clipped at 4 weeks, I t re healed, clipped again at 17 weeks, didn't work, they clipped too high apparently, clipped again 2 weeks ago by to ENT consultant who assured us it will never need to be done again!

Does anyone know if the effects of BCP on milk supply are reversible, so scared of ending up on the other side of the coin but don't know what else to do? I am desperate! Thanks everyone for reading my woes!

Definitely reversible! In general, when your supply takes a hit, even a very bad one, all you have to do is allow baby to nurse on demand and your supply will bounce right back. I think the only thing that concerns me here is the tongue tie and the multiple clips... I worry that some of your issues could be the result of your baby not having good tongue control, in which case she might have trouble bringing supply back up once you have it tamed. Sorry to be Negative Nancy about that possibility!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Surely if she didn't have good tongue control she wouldn't be able to stimulate a let down and my supply wouldn't be so high?