Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At a loss as to what to do!

Question At a loss as to what to do!

Hi Ladies,
    My baby is now 6 months and we are still REALLY struggling with OALD/OS. I have tried almost everything to reduce my supply! Blockfeeding does not seem to work to reduce my supply and when I start a new block (switch sides, my baby just CANNOT cope with the flow, I mean not even the let down, but before the let down, as soon as she latches, I spray and she chokes or gulps so fast and comes off coz she can't keep up). If I do one feed per side, she copes a bit better with the flow, but gets lactose overload and writhes around in pain for hours. I have worked my way up to 12 hour blocks, so a night boob and a day boob, she still struggles with the flow on the fifth feed on the same side and it takes me over an hour with her in the carrier until she will finally take a feed. She definitely wants to nurse, latches on eagerly but comes off within 20 secs. I am not quite as engorged as previously but do have to hand express a few times for about 30 secs during the 12 hours, however when it is time for the swap, I hand express a few squirts but she just cannot nurse. It took us 2 hours of us trying tonight and in the end, I gave up and hand expressed about 2 and a half oz and she was able to feed with a struggle! I am really not sure what to do, I want to continue BF more than anything but just don't know how to manage this. I am seriously thinking about trying taking the combined contraceptive pill for 4 days (my last resort). Does anyone know anything about using it to reduce supply? Is it reversible if it reduces it too much? I just can't bare to see my baby so distressed any more. Bf is meant to be a wonderful bonding experience and really for us it is just a nightmare! I have a few questions that I would love responses on, before I make my decision.
    - is it normal for milk to squirt as soon as baby latches?
    - should a baby be able to cope with this?
    - does supply naturally reduce/ regulate, if so, by when?
    - if I do 12 hour blocks and hand express before I swap sides, should my supply still reduce?
    - those of you with experience of OALD/OS, could your babies cope with the flow when on new side?
    - what would you all do in my position?
    Thank you all for your responses, I am at a loss as to what I should do!

Default Re: At a loss as to what to do!

I did a lot of side laying nursing, and I never hand expressed. Ever. I let baby nurse. And you may need to do longer blocks.

I think there was a mom who had bad OS for 10 months.

I had it bad, but I didn't know what it was called and it stopped being a problem when I threw the book away and followed my instincts.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I wonder if trying shorter blocks would work? I used to keep washclothes around to catch extra milk if sarah was to pull off so it didn't make so much of a mess. I know its a pain in the behind. Do you seam to have troubles with plugged ducts?
    Some kids are just "That" sort of nurser and they pull off and choke alot.

Have you tried cabbage?
    I dealt with OALD and it was pretty powerful and I would feed him in a sitting position so he wasn't in a position to get overwhelmed with milk. He was in a sitting position.

Way too lazy for formula

Angry Re: At a loss as to what to do!

I have tried everything, cabbage leaves, sage, peppermint, pseudoephedrine, reclining, side lying, catching let down, long blocks, short blocks. I have avoided hand expressing to the point of getting mastitis twice. I keep hearing people say "block feed but don't hand express, simply nurse" that is all very well and it seems that other babies are happy to nurse on a full breast, but my baby WON'T and it seems as if she can't. If I put her on a very full breast she will latch for a few sucks and then pull off even before letdown and then struggle and scream to get away, with a lot of perseverance, she will latch again and repeat process. If I don't hand express, which I haven't been up till a couple of days ago, the process will repeat for about 2 hours until enough milk has come off by her brief sucks and me leaking and spraying, that my boob is in a position for her to feed! She gets soo distressed by this, that some days, she flatly refuses to nurse for 9 hours. So, yes, I would love to not have to hand express and just be able to nurse at the beginning of a block but,if I try and do that, my baby WON'T nurse! So what option do I have? Today, I started the new block at 9 am, I had to hand express 1 and half oz to get her to feed, then she nursed 1200, 2.30, 4.30 briefly but didn't like the flow so gave up, and 5.45pm all on same side. However she has started biting and tugging my nipple, I'm not sure if the flow even on the fifth time on same side, is still too fast, istill sometimes spray on let down and spray if I squeeze my nipple, or if she wants the other side. At 5.45 pm I let her go on to other side(swap was not due till 8pm) and she nursed for a few minutes(so stayed on a bit better than on the emptier side but Then started the biting and tugging again, my boob was still quite firm, so I am confused,any thoughts? Also it is strange that if I put her straight on to a full boob, she can't cope and refuses, but if she feeds on the emptier side and I let her swap on to the full side in the same feed, she can cope and will feed on it. Only thing I can think of is that she is not as hungry, so doesn't suck so hard, what do you all think? I am really confused about everything, don't know how bad my OS/OALD is,I see some people say they spray for 5 mins, I presume that means spray out on it's own without any pressure or squeezing, I certainly don't do that, but would still spray after 5mins if I apply pressure. However I can EASILY hand express 2oz in 1 minute, is that normal? Don't want to take the pill if my OS is not as bad as I think, but why can my baby not cope? Just don't know if it will ever improve and we can't go on like this for much longer! Not sure also what to do about the biting as it is really hard, and when she gets teeth, I will be in trouble. Don't know why she has started it, could it be teething? Any ideas, thoughts about all this would be really appreciated! Thanks.

No, mama, what you're describing is not very normal. In fact it sounds really hard!! You're doing a great job by sticking with it. Much more normal is to pump for 20 minutes to get 2 oz.

It sounds like you've tried a ton of things. Have you seen an IBCLC? Someone who might be able to help you cope in person? And might be able to give you strategies or suggestions for talking with your health care practitioner about all this?

Some babies bite to help control the flow. And some for teething. Try giving her something to bite/chew on right before a nursing (cold and wood tend to be good things) and see if that helps - if so, it's the teething.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Sometimes babies are just as confused about what to do about OS/OALD as their mommies are. They don't want to be sprayed by forceful letdown, but on the other hand they don't know what to do with a breast that releases milk at a slower pace, because they are not used to working for a letdown. Either way, waaaah!!!

Easily hand-expressing 2 oz in a minute says "oversupply" to me. So don't take the BCP option off the table yet.

Have you tried reverse pressure softening? Sometimes that enables baby to latch onto an otherwise very firm and rounded breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When you use cabbage and peppermint what happens? You see no difference in your output at all?

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for reply, yes I have seen 4 LC's and 2 ped's. LC's basically gave suggestions which didn't work so eventually said express and give a bottle. Ped's diagnosed reflux, meds did not improve things, I t is not reflux, it is OS, but ped's don't understand about it! No one seems to be able to help and taking the pill is my last resort but I can't stand seeing my baby so distressed. I don't want to EP, or actually pump at all, I want to BF, it is very important to me to nurse her till at least 2 yrs old, but at the moment, I am not sure how to achieve this!