Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I get my 3 month old to sleep longer than 3 hours?

Default How can I get my 3 month old to sleep longer than 3 hours?

We don't use formula or rice and we want her to sleep longer if possible. She is exclusively breastfeed. Advice!

Default Re: How can I get my 3 month old to sleep longer than 3 hour

Welcome to the forum, mama, and congrats on making it to 3 months of exclusive breastfeeding! That's a real achievement!

Can you tell us a bit more about your sleep situation? How often does baby wake, do you co-sleep in the same bed, or is baby in a crib in your room, or is she in a crib down the hall? What bothers you the most about your sleep situation?

Cereal and formula don't make babies sleep. That's a myth. And 3 month-olds tend to sleep poorly, no matter what they eat. Most experts do not recommend doing anything about a baby's sleep patterns until at least 4 months. That makes 3 months a perfect time to start reading good books about sleep. I highly recommend Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for a realistic look at infant sleep and helpful, gentle tips on what you can do to help your baby sleep more independently and for longer stretches.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My little guy decided at about 2 1/2 months old that his bed time was 9pm. He wakes up at around 1am and then goes back to sleep til around 5. I have been loving the past month of regular sleep schedule, but it was mostly his choice. If your daughter sleeps in her own crib or bassinet you can try making sure she is full, clean, dry and not too hot, then keep the lights low if she wakes up in a couple hours. Feed her, change her and try again.
    Ultimately though she will only sleep as long as she is ready/needs.

I think it is typical for breastfed children to get some of their best feeds at night. My children had that fluffy soft milk fed skin and I think it was due to those late night, early morning nursing sessions.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair