Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to build up a stock ?

Default Re: how to build up a stock ?

mama, i really am worried about your health and long-term supply if you're not planning to pump during the long days out and about with your daughter. the way you describe it - traveling with a group and can't stop every 2 hours to nurse - how are you going to pump?

i have had the same experiences nrsing in public as phi describes. with the right tops and a carrier, almost no one will know.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Additionally, if you do not nurse you will need to pump (or risk engorgement, mastitis, and reduced supply), especially if you will be out all day. Nursing in public is going to be FAR more discreet than pumping in public!
    about 100000000x.

I have to exclusively pump, and seriously, I got far more stares for that than I ever did in breastfeeding my three other kids for 6 years! It's difficult to find somewhere you can pump too, where it's clean, quiet, someone else dealing with the baby, etc. Every 2-3 hours. Around the clock. FAR FAR easier to practice breastfeeding in public by nursing in front of friends, a mirror and with a cover.

ETA: just read your latest post. You won't find bottles any easier as you will have to pump in those same situations. Really. Or you will risk losing your supply, mastitis and being uncomfortable. Practice NIP. You will see it is much easier than you think

The latching/un latching may go away by then. She will be bigger and better at nursing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    mama, i really am worried about your health and long-term supply if you're not planning to pump during the long days out and about with your daughter. the way you describe it - traveling with a group and can't stop every 2 hours to nurse - how are you going to pump?
    Have you considered how you are going to pump? Do you have a plan for that? Honestly, you can't just not nurse or pump for several days- it will be not only incredibly painful, you could also get ill.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Alright guys, you all have convinced me to NIP. Have started trying it. She does latches on better now than two weeks back and i am hoping that this will just keep improving.
    Do u have any suggestions about Baby carriers/slings etc. so that i can avoid flashing and still hold her comfortably ??

I was reading through the pumping chit chat 3 thread and I had another question and i am sorry if this is really silly or ignorant of me -- What is Lipase ??

I have been wanting to write this for quite sometime now --- From what i read about Susan (three toddlers and EPing) Hats off to you !!!! thats amazing commitment to BFing, I would have had the same strength or commitment if i was in your place. Thanks for the inspiration !

Lipase is an enzyme that breaks up fats in breast milk and will make your milk smell pretty off after awhile. You need to scald milk before freezing to destroy the lipase if you have a problem with it or all of your frozen milk could end up smelling like vomit.

I love my Ergo. It is super comfortable. It has a hood, so no one can see what is going on and baby can stay focused on nursing (it has helped immensely with my distractible boy). I have carried on full conversations with strangers while my toddler nursed in the Ergo. However, I think it is more difficult with really little babies. There is an insert for little ones, but I'm not sure how well it works. I liked my ring sling for nursing when my baby was really tiny. He got too heavy for it after awhile though, but that was well past 2 months.

I also wear a tank top under a t-shirt so that I can pull the tank top down and the t-shirt up. Hardly any skin shows that way.

I meant to also mention that you might go to some baby stores and try on different carriers to see what you like best. I think there are some babywearing groups that will let you try some on too - they might have a better selection. Let me see if I can dig up a link.

ETA - links:

babywearing international local chapters

choosing a carrier

But do try some on. That's the best way to figure out what you will like best.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; May 7th, 2012 at 01:49 PM.

yes, if you live near a babywearing store or a group, i highly recommend you go try some on in person, because what works for your body & baby & preferences will be individual. but my LLL just found out she could order a whole bunch on amazon and send back what she didn't want, so that may be an option if you can't get to a meeting or store in person. but i have found having really good knowledgabel in-person help was super important for babywearing. some are easy, some have a learning curve, but even for the easy ones having someone who knows what they're talking about to help is really invaluable.

i have also found that having the right clothes is important, and you'll want to practice so you know what clothes work in the carrier you have. i love these things, as i can clip them on my nursing bras: http://undercovermama.com/ i have very big boobs so finding a nursing tank was impossible. then i can wear any shirt i have over, and it's super discrete. i also like these tops: http://www.momzelle.com/. not to be worn at the same time as the undercover mamas, just a different option.

and yes - this will just get easier as she gets older, more neck & head control, you both get more practice. woo-hoo!!!

i really like my ring sling and my baby was in my mei tai from 4 weeks til 6 months probably 6 hours a day. i also love my boba 3g, which is easier - less to adjust, snap & go - and has an infant setting that you might find really great. i got it after my little one was big so i don't know personally. i've heard good things.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I found a ring skin pretty easy to use, but I didn't often walk around nursing. I like to sit down and relax for a minute...it's the only time I get to relax during the day I would use the tail of the sling as a cover, but if I wanted to nurse baby in the sling, I pulled the fabric around to allow access, lowered baby a bit and maybe even laid him down in the sling.

The right clothes make a big difference.

Practice with a mirror, and keep in mind that baby's head blocks most of what someone might see. And if they see anything, oh well. You are feeding your baby. You are not intending them to see anything. Two big distinctions.

Thanks
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aditismum View Post
    Alright guys, you all have convinced me to NIP. Have started trying it. She does latches on better now than two weeks back and i am hoping that this will just keep improving.
    It will! NIP with a newborn is very difficult. It often takes all you have to position the breast and the tiny, uncoordinated, relatively weak baby, and to do that while also trying to preserve some decorum... Forget about it! But babies grow and they get stronger and more coordinated, and pretty soon you can latch them on with ease and they don't need much help to maintain their latch. NIP just gets easier and easier as time goes on. I'm really glad the LLLadies got you psyched to try it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I found a ring skin pretty easy to use, but I didn't often walk around nursing. I like to sit down and relax for a minute...it's the only time I get to relax during the day I would use the tail of the sling as a cover, but if I wanted to nurse baby in the sling, I pulled the fabric around to allow access, lowered baby a bit and maybe even laid him down in the sling.
    For me it was pretty easy for walking around too (I live in a big city with decent public transportation and I don't drive, so nursing while walking is critical for me). I just raise the baby to the breast and latch. I did need to support him with my arm while he nursed so it's not entirely hands free, but it just looked like he was sleeping in the sling.

The right clothes make a big difference.

Practice with a mirror, and keep in mind that baby's head blocks most of what someone might see. And if they see anything, oh well. You are feeding your baby. You are not intending them to see anything. Two big distinctions.
    Totally. If someone sees something that means they are looking way too hard.