Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to build up a stock ?

Default how to build up a stock ?

I have a 1 month old baby girl on BF. We are planning a trip for 3-4 days in a month. I wanted to store some Breastmilk so that we can use it during the trip.
    I have a medela pisa and pump twice a day and get about 3 - 4 oz, but she usually consumes that amount the next day and I am unable to store any milk. I feed her almost every 2 h. My mom uses the expressed milk once in the day so that I can get atleast 3 -4 h stretch of sleep in a day ( iam unable to sleep fitfully in those 1.5 h or 2 h intervals) .
    Can I pump more than once a day, I am worried that it might lead to OS

the other question was --- I was planning to use medela pump and save storage bags -- but they are of 5 oz capacity which might take me 2 -3 pumping sessions. Can i use the same bag till it fills or is it safer to use a fresh bag each time ??

any comments and suggestions are welcome
    Last edited by @llli*aditismum; May 6th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

Default Re: how to build up a stock ?

Keep pumping, but stop having it fed to baby. that is how you get ahead.

Can you take baby with you, as honestly, that is the better way to go at it, instead of leaving a 1-2 month old newborn.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We are taking her along with us, but i am not comfortable feeding her in public. Hence breast milk in bottle !
    I hope to feed her at the breast in the mornings and evenings through the night. During the day we will be going from place to place and it will be difficult to find a private place to feed her

I just read mixed reviews about the medela storage bags
    Any suggestions as to which is the safest storage methods ?? I am totally confused right now

Can you share with us why you're uncomfortable nursing in public? We may be able to suggest things that would allow you to nurse publicly and also discreetly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i'm with mommal. also, remember in another month you'll have DOUBLE the amount of practice you have now. nursing will be WAY easier, and therefore also easier to do discreetly. but practice hleps a lot too - in front of a mirror, in a room with a close friend, at a LLL meeting.

basically i think what we're saying is that it might well be much easier to figure out how to nurse in public than to save up enough breastmilk to carry you through this trip. honestly, that sounds like a nightmare to me. what if you run out? what if a bottle spoils? if there's any way at all we can help you figure out how to be comfortable nursing during the days, your trip will be immeasurably better.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Additionally, if you do not nurse you will need to pump (or risk engorgement, mastitis, and reduced supply), especially if you will be out all day. Nursing in public is going to be FAR more discreet than pumping in public!

oh yeah! duh! listen to phi - this one is REALLY important.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I started a supply by nursing on one side while pumping on the other during the first feeding of the day. I would get 1 to 2oz per day. I stored in Lansinoh bags (i have had no issue with the bags) and I store 3 days worth in 1 bag, dating the bag on the first/earliest day.

As much as i would love to there are a few problems in nursing in public,

We are travelling with a group and it will be difficult to stop every 2 h for about 45 - 60 mins (for feeding her). I also dont know how to find a discreet place everytime i want to feed her (I just dont want to use the public restrooms).

She recently has started latching and unlatching a lot during initial feeding (i guess its the letdown, because she feeds very well after the initial few minutes). Its very uncomfortable to use a nursing cover at that point.
    I was hoping to feed her in the car atleast once during the day. So its a matter of two or maximum three feedings in a day that i have to rely on the bottle. Since she is already feeds once a day with bottle, I thought adding one more bottle during the day would be easier than trying find a discreet place in crowded downtowns.

unfortunately we cannot avoid this trip .

Try practicing nursing your baby in a soft structured carrier, wrap, or sling at home before the trip. I used a sling when my baby was tiny, a Moby for about a month (didn't like it - I've heard that woven wraps are much better), and switched over to an Ergo when he got bigger. It takes a little practice to get it down, but if you nurse while babywearing no one will know what you are doing. Seriously. I've walked down busy streets downtown while nursing my baby with people saying hello, asking directions, even asking where I got the carrier, etc. and having absolutely no idea that my baby was nursing. An additional benefit of babywearing is that your baby can just nap in the carrier while you are walking around.

If you still are committed to bottle feeding for this trip then because you'll need to pump to prevent potentially serious infection, you can just feed the milk you pump and not worry about transporting a large stash. You will still need a cooler for each day out big enough for your pump parts, any extra milk you might pump, maybe a couple extra bags of milk just in case you don't pump enough in any given pumping session, and ice packs to keep it all cold. Then you will need a bag for your pump, clean bottles, dirty bottles, in addition to any other baby items you'll need for the day. I think auderey is right - carrying all that around in addition to the other stresses she mentions sounds like a nightmare indeed!

If you nurse, then all you need is your baby and yourself.