Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latch issue at 10 weeks plus white noise recommendations?

Default latch issue at 10 weeks plus white noise recommendations?

Hi ladies

My 10 week old has suddenly starting making clicking sounds as she feeds - she kinda loses suction and clicks. Not sure why, latch looks ok to me apart from possibly she should have her head tilted back a little more? Anyone got any ideas? S

Also - she has terrible colic but the thing that works a treat along with frantic finger-sucking and firm pressure on tum, is white noise. However, turning hairdryer or hoover on is becoming expensive! Does anyone have any recommendations for white noise downloads?

Thanks!
    Mama to Iris and Jess, learning to take it all more slowly b

Default Re: latch issue at 10 weeks plus white noise recommendation

Clicking can be a baby's way of coping with a fast milk flow. Break the suction, take a breath, and the milk may have slowed down by the time you get back onto the breast. In the absence of pain, clicking is just a nursing quirk and doesn't require you to do anything to fix it. Usually the baby overcomes it on her own as she grows.

Good luck with the white noise! My DH just downloaded a white noise app for his Android smartphone- I can get you the name if you want.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We got a cheapo ($25 US) white noise machine at least 6 years ago from the local chain baby store and my kids still go to sleep to the 'rain' every night.

Fans work well too.

My youngest was a clicker. I had some oald but if that is the only symptom it's nothing to worry about. I suppose it's possible it means baby is getting more air in tum which may be contributing to the colic?

there's lots of free white noise apps for android and iphone. i learned last night they don't even drain the battery that much - i forgot to plug my phone in and it lasted all night!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

We turn on the radio to static for naps and nighttime. We found this to be an inexpensive alternative to a sound machine. Good luck mama!

iPhone: Sleep Machine Lite. Free, and AMAZING. Tons of options for the noise, and you can combine up to three at a time with varying volumes.

Machine: Marpac Sleepmate. Worth its weight in gold. I used them in practice to create a noise curtain for clients' privacy when sharing the office, but at home I have used them to ease colic and to create noise curtains for the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    We turn on the radio to static for naps and nighttime. We found this to be an inexpensive alternative to a sound machine. Good luck mama!
    Brilliant!

Someone gave us a little travel sleep sheep when my son was born, and I loved it. But I think the radio is a great idea if you don't already have something.

We used an air purifier as white noise. Figured it had a greater good for the cost of electricity. A humidifier in the winter.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks for all the replies mamas

I don't have an IPhone but will try the radio static idea

And long as the clicking isn't a sign there's a problem with her latch, that's great. Not sure if I have OALD or not - I know I did have it a few weeks ago because she'd break off and start crying and I'd spray everywhere, but that isn't happening now
    Mama to Iris and Jess, learning to take it all more slowly b

My ds would click and lose suction when I was battling OS/OALD....the LC said it was his way of coping with the onslaught of milk. He eventually grew into it.

With my dd, she had extreme colic from about 4 weeks, peaking at 8 weeks....after some extensive research, I decided to give infant probiotics a try.....I swear after giving her the probiotics for a week, the colic was greatly improved. She is now almost 12 weeks and the colic symptoms are all but gone. Not sure if she simply outgrew it or if it was the probiotics....if I had to guess, it would be a combination of the two.