Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: explain why not to buy used Ameda?

Question explain why not to buy used Ameda?

Ok - so...with my first, I didn't purchase a pump. I used the hospital one for the first several weeks for free because of my massive engorgement issues and then was able to borrow a Medela PIS from a very close, very trusted friend. I knew the risks of milk backup because it was an open system, but I also felt relatively safe because I knew her health history so well.

Now, with DD, I did buy a pump - but I bought one used from someone I don't know. I bought an Ameda Purely Yours double electric, but I purchased a completely new Hygeni-Kit - with all new parts - so the only part that is actually being re-used is the base.

I bought it assuming it was OK to buy used, because it was a closed system. Then I was told afterwards that even that isn't OK. I'm very confused as to why. I haven't used the pump yet (DD is due on 5/13) - so would like to get some clarity to this before I need to use it.

TIA for your help sorting this out.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Default Re: explain why not to buy used Ameda?

AFAIK, the biggest concern with a used closed-system pump is that it is used, and therefore likely to have been worn down by use.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

and, like all baby stuff - there's a bit of a racket going on. i personally would only worry about a worn ameda, like mommal said.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Depending on how heavily the pump has been used it might not last terribly long. I have an Ameda Purely Yours (bought new) that I have been using three days a week (much less frequently over the summer) for the past (almost) 18 months, and it is definitely dying on me. As far as I know the worst case scenario is that you will need to buy a new pump sooner, possibly much sooner, than you would like. Hopefully not, but you just don't know with a used pump. I personally would not recommend buying a used Ameda for that reason alone. If your pumping output drops, be aware that the problem could very well be the pump.

Worn out. Pumps are only meant for 400 hours of use.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

400 hours... UGGGG! thats not that long right?

Awesome!! Thank you ladies for your input. I wasn't sure if there was somehow, someway still some risk of actual contamination to the milk.

I'm not planning on pumping more than once a day or so, unless I have the same issues I had with DS..and even still - that only lasted the first 12 weeks or so. After that, I'm planning on only pumping once every day or two to have a small supply on hand in case I need it.

I suppose anything can happen, and if I need to pump more than that and the pump dies, I'll have to buy a new one....seeing as I already own this one. I was just worried I could harm my baby somehow...

Thanks again!!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

I agree, concern is with function not hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    400 hours... UGGGG! thats not that long right?
    Assuming an average 20 minute pumping session it's about 3x/day for a year (or 1x/day for 3 years). If exclusively pumping, TOTALLY not long enough.

Susan, is that the motor? So regardless of replacing pump parts and membranes and what not it'll be useless after a while?

I have an Ameda purely yours. I got it from a friend after her THREE BOYS. AND made it comepletely through my one. Neither of us exclusively pumped.

Way too lazy for formula

I think used pumps are like used cars. Most people who buy a car with 150,000 miles on it aren't going to get much more use out of it, even if they sink a lot of money into rehabbing it. But here and there you'll find someone who got another lifetime out of a used machine- like my parents did with their '63 Chevy truck that kept running well into the 1980s, and like djs.mom did with the heavily used APY.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"