Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: RE: BF after 1 year??

Default RE: BF after 1 year??

My son is 12 months old and I've been thinking about slowly weaning him off of BM. He is a mama's boy and I can tell it will not be easy. I was wondering what do you guys do at night when your son/daughters are so used to nursing in the middle of the night? I co-sleep with my son and he still wakes up every 2 hours to feed then he'll go back to sleep. He never nurses for too long...around 5-10 minutes on the breast and then he's done eating. I been reading the other posts and it looks like the majority of moms still BF close to when their babies are 2 years old.....any suggestions or ideas?

Default Re: BF after 1 year??

Can I ask why you want to wean him??

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Have you read "A Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning" by Kathleen Huggins? It discusses different methods for different age groups of babies. It also discusses different reasons why mother's may choose to wean at various ages, and ways to deal with issues while continuing to nurse if you really don't want to wean. Many mothers do begin to put some limits on nursing once their babies reach toddlerhood, but continue to nurse with those limits for many more months or even years.

I started weaning by dropping one feeding at a time, starting with the one he was least interested in (maybe one of the "snack" feedings during the day). Last to go for us were the before nap/bed. We night weaned just before that. It took us months to wean, but I didn't rush it and just dropped feedings when I thought he was ready. We did a little of one step forward, two steps back once in a while, which was OK. I didn't set a timeline for weaning--I originally wanted to have him weaned at a year (I had surgery a week after his birthday), but it didn't work out, so we went a month and a half longer.

Just go slowly, and you'll find that it's really easier than you think. I just distracted him with a change in routine, and it worked. If he fussed too terribly much, I'd feed him--no biggie. It was obvious that if he fussed a lot, he wasn't ready to drop that feeding.

Good luck!

Lisa

Well right now I'm not in any rush to wean him or anything. Since he is a year old... I felt if he ate something else it would offer more nutritional value than just BM. He doesn't seem interested in eating solids or table foods. He will eat food since the food is next to his mouth but he's not interested in it. He's more interested in playing with food rather than eating. He loves eating apples and thats about it.....I guess my concern is he loves nursing and the comfort of mama being right next to him and I feel like he doesn't want to try anything else. I can see him only wanting BM for awhile and for a year old baby I felt it wasn't enough intake of food. I was just curious about what happens at night when you no longer nurse....thats why I posted my question earlier. For now I will continue nursing on demand and try to offer him different foods etc.

Hi Moshi,

I can understand your concern about your son's disinterest in solid foods. It may be reassuring for you to hear that many other moms have been in this situation, and it really is more common than you may think. It may also help to know that weaning, or even cutting back on nursing, is unlikely to change your son's eating habits. Time and maturity will handle that one.

The good news is that your milk is still the best nutrition out there for him. Solid foods, at this age, are really more about learning to enjoy nutritious foods than the calories themselves. As long as you are continuing to offer nutrient dense foods, and are avoiding empty calories and sweets, you can relax and not worry about how much he eats.

There is an awesome new book on this subject available in the LLL catalog called "My Child Won't Eat" by Carlos Gonzalez. It is a pretty easy read, and very reassuring. If you have a local LLL group in your area, there is a good chance you will find a copy you can borrow from their library.

HTH...you're doing a great job, mama!

Tiana