Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to start back breastfeeding

Default Is it possible to start back breastfeeding

Hi all please let me know if it is at all possible to start breastfeeding after 3 months. My daunted is now 6 months and I stopped breastfeeding at 3 months. I regret stopping so soon and have been wondering if it is at all possible to start back and get her interested again?

Default Re: Is it possible to start back breastfeeding

Yes, it is definitely possible! My mom had to wean my sis at 3 months due to a medical issue, and was not given the go-ahead to start nursing again until my sis was 6 months old. By offering the breast before formula, she was able to relactate, phase out the formula, and nurse my sis until she was 18 months old.

Link on getting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's totally possible! It might be hard to get her to breastfeed, but who knows, maybe she will pick right back up! Try getting in the tub and having your breast available- see if she takes it! She would be the #1 best way to build a milk supply. If she will latch, fantastic! Let her nurse 24/7

The next best thing to do is to rent a hospital grade pump and pump AT least 8 times a day, but aim for 10-12 times, every 2-3 hours (at least once at night, more if you can stand it). You want to remove milk OFTEN. It isn't quite as important to have long pump sessions (ie, better to have 6 ten minute sessions than one 60 minute session).

Other possibilites- ask your doctor about prescriptions, buy some herbs (like fenugreek), eat some oatmeal! But all the lotions and potions don't replace removing milk as often as you can.

I basically relactated (I went from pumping 4 oz a day to 34 oz!) but it took six months and lots of hard work! But I really feel like it was worth it. I never got to exclusively breastfeed my son (ended up exclusively pumping), but it makes me feel so good to know he is getting the health benefits and I think it helped us connect because he knows it comes from me (he is almost 18 months!).

Good luck!!! Here is a link: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

Also, (you might be doing this now) you can start feeding formula how a breastfed baby would eat http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

I would type more, but I am so wiped! Have a good night!
    Last edited by @llli*katia11; May 5th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

THanks for your replies! My husband says he will support me but that he thinks it is just too late. I tried to put her on this morning but she looked at me like "uh mom what ya doin?". I also have no milk I was pumping last night and for an hour not one drop came out. I feel very defeated and very angry with myself for not trying harder in the beginning to continue breastfeeding...especially as she is my last baby. I live in Barbados and we don't have consultants here or hospital pumps that we can rent. feeling very upset with myself this morning.

mama, don't beat yourself up about this. you made the best decision you could at the time, with what you had.

re-lactating will take time. both for your body to figure out it needs to make milk again, and for your baby to realize she needs to work for it. i agree with PP - spend as much time as you can relaxing, bath time, hanging out in bed skin-to-skin to encourange her to latch. once she does, then nurse nurse nurse!

increasing milk production with pumping - you might not see results for a week. so one 60 min session yesterday tells you exactly zero about what you will eventually produce.

hang in there!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm feeling even more defeated this pm. To more explain how I'm feeling I have a 2 1/2 year old son whom I bf for three months I totally regretted not bf him longer and told myself that when I had another baby I would keep it up for as long as possible. When I had my daughter via c section she was very jaundice and didn't latch on right away. We were able to bf exclusively for two weeks but at that point my nipples began to bleed and I was so sore to the point of tears. I was extremely exhausted from dealing with a newborn, recovering from the c section and the demands of a 2 yr old boy who didn't understand all that was going on around him. I slowly started to introduce formula just so I would have a moment to breath and by three months she was on formula exclusively and only came on the breast for comfort.

Now those regrets that i had with my son are now there with my daughter. I am so angry at myself for giving up so easily when I knew I would regret it. I feel so discouraged as just the thought of it has people looking at me funny and the "but she is happy and healthy" attitude of my husband. I have tried getting her to latch on today but all she does is cry I have pumped but alas still nothing...did I also mention that I work full time.......it just seems so out of reach...

What kind of pump are you using? Relactation is easiest to achieve when you're using a great pump, which for most moms is a hospital-grade rental. Don't expect a ton of milk right away. Aim for small goals. Drops. A quarter of a bottle. Then maybe half a bottle. You're not going to be able to drop all the formula tomorrow!

Also, how many times per day are you pumping? When relactating, you want to aim for at least 8-10 pump sessions per day. You're trying to mimic the nursing pattern of a newborn baby, who nurses often in order to bring mom's milk in.

Don't beat yourself up for stopping sooner than you intended. It's not easy being a mommy and we all have places in our lives where we feel like we could have done better than we did. No-one here will look at you funny for wanting to get your breastfeeding life back. We know how important it is, and we think you're wonderful for even considering giving this another go!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a Medela swing electric breastpump unfortunately they don't have hospital ones here for rent...so I will have to make do with the one I have. I work full time so will only be able to pump on mornings and evenings...unless I take it to work and pump during lunch. Will try my best as that is all I can do! Wish me luck!!!

You can do this! But yes - you need to take your pump to work and pump at lunch - and at any other break you can get - I think you're not in the US, right? Do you know your legal right to pumping breaks?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I live on the island of Barbados in the Caribbean. I work at a law firm actually so any legal rights I should be able to find out lol they may think it strange that I am now asking though.....