Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African american and pink nipples!!!??!

Unhappy African american and pink nipples!!!??!

Well i'm not sure if this has been asked and if it was sorry, but about a 1 1/2 months ago i was having problems getting my lo to latch. Because of this my nipples kept blanching. Pushing past the pain weve finally gotten a great latch and have been successful with our nursing, but my nipples still look like they are raw. Its odd because being black, i have brown nipps and suddenly they are pink. Anyone else going through or heard of this?

Default Re: African american and pink nipples!!!??!

That sounds OUCHY! My bet is blanching from vasospasm, which is usually caused by latch problems. Have you seen this website?

ETA: Totally wrong website! How embarrassing!! I clearly do way too much cutting and pasting. Thanks Mommal.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; May 5th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have a feeling the PP meant to link to this website: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/

The other suspect when a mom of any color has pinker-than-normal nipples is thrush, a yeast infection that isn't in what we ladies think of as the "usual" place. Are you having any pain when you nurse, or perhaps after the feeding has ended? Thrush pain is often an itchy, tingling, or burning sensation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Does it have to be that? My nipples and my sisters went from a very light color to very dark brwon while nursing.....couldn't it just be a pigment thing if she is experiencing no pain?

Way too lazy for formula

Nope, no other pain. I thought maybe it was an infection but theres no discomfort at all. The LC i work with said maybe he just "sucked the color off!".

I thought thrush too, but it could be a normal color change during nursing
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

First time I ever hear of that happening, but why not? If there's no pain, I'd probably just and go on with my life... And let us know if your nips ever go back to their original color- not only am I curious but some other mom with the same issue may stumble across the thread and be reassured!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am an Indian, I have dark nipples too, and the color of nipples seems lighter with continued nursing. I wont say pink, but definitely few shades lighter than usual dark brown nipples.

I wouldn't worry about it if you are pain free. FWIW, I'm caucasian, but my areolae are very dark pigmented even though my actual nipples are bright pink. I have no pain either and they have been checked by my OB/GYN and an IBCLC and they said everything's fine and that's just how they look right now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*larkface View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it if you are pain free. FWIW, I'm caucasian, but my areolae are very dark pigmented even though my actual nipples are bright pink. I have no pain either and they have been checked by my OB/GYN and an IBCLC and they said everything's fine and that's just how they look right now.
    same here!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14