Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old always doing hungry cues?!

Default 2 month old always doing hungry cues?!

My darling daughter is 2 months old now, I've started noticing that she's always doing hungry cues!
    I'll feed her but then straight after (she pulls herself off) she is eating her hands, and then 15 minutes later she is sticking out her tongue - so I assume she's hungry and offer her the breast again but she doesn't want it - pulls her head away and sometimes cries out.
    This is fine but it makes it very difficult for me to know when she is ACTUALLY hungry as I keep on offering her the breast and sometimes she snacks, but then of course we are losing our schedule as I keep offering it to her!
    Very confusing - anyone else have this kind of issue?
    Also her latch is quite tight, she's a great latcher but lately she's been getting distracted so she pulls herself off and on the breast during a feed, even if i feed in the bedroom - dim lights, she just latches herself back on sometimes with a great latch othertimes with a little mouth latch - does this really matter?

Ok sorry many questions in one!
    Thanks xo
    Last edited by @llli*tanpixie; May 21st, 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Default Re: 2 month old always doing hungry cues?!

hi mama, this is normal! babies nurse for all kinds of reasons besides just being hungry. plus chewing on hands might be an early teething thing. what do you mean about "losing your schedule"? nursing on demand with no schedule is the best for her and for your milk supply.

if the latch doesn't hurt you, it's not a problem. most babies seem to have this distracted stage though 2 months seems pretty early for that. you can always go back to the basics of latch - take her off, let her try again for a good latch - to reinforce her doing it right.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

hey thank you so much, by schedule I mean normally we nurse (through her initiation) every 2 hours, I just feel that if i nurse her whenever she pokes out her tongue I"m nursing her every 15 minutes and then not sure if she's getting enough?
    However I only want to do what is best for her so happy to do that - if that's the right thing to do - she's a very happy baby generally I am just confused by all these hungry cues- I guess she'll tell me if she's not hungry?!

with the PP. Babies chew on their hands for all sorts of reasons- babies even suck their thumbs in utero! So it's not always a reliable hunger cue.

The best schedules are the ones babies design themselves. So if you're trying to get a schedule going, I suggest letting it go. The ones you read about generally aren't realistic and adhering to them can be very detrimental to breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah also I guess I feel the pressure of feeding every 2 hours from my mother and sister - my sister has children and adhered them to a schedule very early on - however I have no desire to need a schedule as my 'job' is my daughter full time - (thank you to her daddy) but I just worry that she'll only snack and never get enough - but buggar it i'll just keep offering her the breast and see what she does, I might as walk around topless at this stage! Thanks wonderful Mummy's.

well i gave her the option of the boob which she took but as soon as let down started she pulled off and cried and now it's hard to calm her down - so I'm really confused!

snacking all the time is JUST FINE. annoying, maybe, but really - if she's eating all the time of course she's getting enough! snacking is actually a pretty healthy way of eating for all of us (small portions frequently, not french fries! ). yes, she will let you know. remember lots of babies go through a fussy stage too where they are just crying. try change of scenery, walking, carrier, get out side, music, bath or shower, whatever you can do to distract her from her fussiness. all after offering to nurse first.

and yes, welcome to the land of the topless! it's wonderful
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

"Snacking" is a normal and healthy eating pattern for a baby. There's this idiotic myth out there that snacking is bad and that if a baby "snacks" then she won't "eat". Nothing could be further from the truth, since a baby who eats 1 oz of milk every hour is getting just as much milk as a baby who eats 3 oz every 3 hours.

Let baby set her own schedule. You'll both be happier.

And I agree completely with the PP that you may be gong through the fussy stage- offer to nurse but if that doesn't work, try some other stimuli (walk, outside time, bath, etc.).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I totally agree with the PP.

And for what it's worth, her "snacking" she may actually be getting more then scheduled "meals".

The longer you wait to stimulate and/or empty your breast your body gets the signal to make less milk, the more often you stimulate and empty your breast the signal your body gets it to make MORE milk.

So she may very well be getting MORE milk then a "scheduled" eater.

Also it is very common for babies to do this off and on off and on thing in the evenings. The hormones that signal you to make milk are lower then, and often the baby is off and on trying to get your body to make more milk during those hours.

Good for you, you are right DD is your job! Bravo!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~