Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: greenish poo with a speck of blood

Default greenish poo with a speck of blood

This is the second poo with a speck of blood. The first one was two weeks ago and I stopped all dairy. With both poos she seemed to be pushing hard. Could it be from the gassy foods I have been eating?
    Her poos are normally mustard colored and sometimes a bit foamy.

Default Re: greenish poo with a speck of blood

How old is baby?

"Gassy" foods generally don't bother babies. Most moms can eat beans and cabbage without there being any consequences. The foods that do tend to bother babies (and cause bloody poops) are dairy, wheat, and soy. One nasty thing about those foods is that they are in everything, even things you wouldn't expect, and with very sensitive babies even a trace exposure can set off an episode of bloody poops. However, please don't go mad eliminating suspect foods from your diet! First of all, there are other reasons why babies sometimes have bloody poops. Milk oversupply, illness, constipation (almost unheard of in exclusively breastfed babies but common in formula-fed or formula-supplemented babies), and small tears in the skin around the anus are also potential causes of bloody poops. And second, occasional specks/streaks of blood in a baby's diaper are usually nothing to worry about. As long as baby seems happy and healthy and is growing normally, you can usually just nurse through it without doing huge dietary changes, and wait for the baby to grow out of it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for replying. She is an EBF 6 week old and is a very happy baby, growing, and gaining weight nicely.

Okay, then I would not sweat it. Seriously! In a newborn I might be a bit concerned, but with a 6 week old who is growing well I would just and continue on. If it gets a lot worse, then revisit the issue. I nursed my LO through months of intermittent bloody poops, which were probably caused by oversupply, and they never caused her any trouble. Eventually they just went away!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!