Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Introducing formula

Default Re: Introducing formula

Don't worry about the bottle thing. I had the same thing with DS2 and we intro the bottle at 5 weeks! I thinks it's the baby mama not anything you did or didn't do!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Could your milk taste funky, as in lipase?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Both of my children refused the bottle but took the Nuby sippy cup with the soft nipple. I know it's hard, but try not to worry. Honestly. 5 hours isn't critical at all. And eventually they all work it out someway. Like Shelly said, just be completely available when you are together and your baby will feel comfortable and loved and less stressed when you can't be around.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks for all the advice and positive comments about introducing the bottle.

Leaving DS at home did not go well! I fed him just before leaving. He went to sleep and woke up 50 minutes later looking to be fed. DH gave him a bottle of freshly pumped (pumped 4 hours earlier, and refridgerated) milk in the chicco step up bottle. He guzzled 1oz in 7 minutes and then started screaming and refusing to take anymore. DH burped him so that wasn't the problem. Did he drink the 1oz too fast?? The same thing happened the last time DH tried to feed him (1oz really quickly followed by screaming). DS continued screaming for most of the time I was away. I manage to leave my meeting 30 minutes early and DH said he was just about to call me because he couldn't calm DS down. How will I go back to work! I also think DH was sad that he wasn't able to care for DS for a few hours alone. He went out for a walk with DS and I met them near my office and I fed DS straight away (first time feedng in public! but he couldn't wait). I did feel that he was quite upset for the rest of the day and wanted to be held constantly.

I went out yesterday and bought the Nuby soft nipple sippy cup but I will wait a couple of days before trying that. I don't want to stress DS out again so soon.
    I don't think lipase is the problem because I have only ever offered milk pumped with 4-6 hours. Could it be spoilt so quickly??

it's going to be a hard transition, but they will figure it out. i had to go back to teaching at 4 weeks, and DH stayed with DS. i was in class from 8-10 every morning and it was rough leaving, knowing that DS was going to be crying a lot of the time i was away, even though he had no problem taking a bottle. there were definitely days DH called me because he couldn't calm DS down. and there were definitely days i could hear him crying through the window when i drove up. but they figured it out. they have to get used to each other, figure out all their patterns - all the things you and DS have been doing his entire life! - and they will both need some extra support and cuddles from you while they do that. but it will be ok. hang in there.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My third cried the whole time I was gone for like a month. I work PT, so I'm sure it was really hard on him, as he was like where is mom going to be today. But he adjusted and it went better....but DH showed up in the middle of me seeing patients a few times!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!