Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cod Liver Oil and Increased Supply

Question Cod Liver Oil and Increased Supply

Checking to see if anyone has had a similar experience, or has any info that would explain what I've been experiencing.

My LO is 9.5 months old and just eating a little bit of solids. 95% of his diet is still breastmilk. I do not pump. I've had an abundant supply for most of his life, and wondering when it would finally regulate. I recently had some blood work done, and I had to stop taking all supplements for 4 days prior. I had wondered to myself if anything I was taking could be connected to my supply, so I figured it would also be a good time to test that theory by adding things back in one by one and seeing the results.

I take fermented cod liver oil (this one) a la the Westen A Price style of eating. I think that I have now deduced that the FCLO is connected to my drastically increased supply. Has anyone else experienced anything like this in connection to fish oil or FCLO?

As a result, I've not been taking it like I know I should. I'd rather take high quality fish oil of some sort rather than flax or another alternative, but I'll do what I need to do. An ND recently pondered whether the amount of vitamin A in the cod liver oil (vs. regular fish oil) could be the reason for the increased supply. Someone else wondered if the "fermented" part of the FCLO is actually like brewed beer or brewer's yeast?? I dunno about that one, but hey, anything's possible.

Or, maybe there is something else in it.... or maybe I'm just wrong all together.

Thanks in advance for any insights. I'd just love to understand this a bit more!

Default Re: Cod Liver Oil and Increased Supply

I occasionally take the FCLO too, but haven't noticed that it increases supply, I have always had a big supply no matter what I've eaten or done. Have you noticed a drop in supply after coming off of it? I know that when people nourish themselves really well that that helps with lactation but not cause a problem!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Default Re: Cod Liver Oil and Increased Supply

I did notice when I did not take it, my supply was more under control. I just didn't take the FCLO for a long time, but now I've recently been trying to take it again more regularly. This time, it seems to be going better and my supply isn't fluctuating/increasing. I'm working more diligently on my overall nutrition, so maybe that is helping.... plus LO is now 12 months, so its about time for my supply to be regulated, lol!