Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increase supply if baby biting :-(

Default increase supply if baby biting :-(

My baby is 10 mns and I started working a new job about a month ago. I wasn't getting to take breaks at work thus unable to pump and wasn't able to nurse him because i was working overnight 12 hours shifts so my supply decreased greatly and was loosing weight b/c of not being able to take breaks to eat, etc. He was so used to the bottle also that after 3 days of not b/f and trying to he got impatient with me and purposelly bit me and he has teeth on top and bottom. So I decided to throw in the towel on breastfeeding so I didn't pump/b/f at all one day, pumped once the next, didn't at all the next day and decided that I really want my son to get breastmilk til he's at least 12 months (and formula's rediculously expensive) and have been trying now for 3 days to get my supply back up by pumping. Anyone have any suggestions on getting him at the breast to help with my supply? Prior to this, if he was hungry and I didn't have any milk he was not about to latch on and keep trying. I just don't know how I'm going to get my supply back up especially without his help. I start my 3 day stretch of 12 hour shifts again tomorrow and who knows how many breaks I'll get to pump. My supply has been increasing buy very very slowly....am beginning to wonder if it's a sign to throw in the towel for good. :-( I have pumped every 2 hours for the last 3 days and today I pumped barely an ounce all day. I really want to increase my supply just don't know if it's worth the time, effort, and energy at this point.

Default Re: increase supply if baby biting :-(

First of all, mama, hang on! You can do this!

Second, if you want to make it to a year, you have to figure out a different system for when you're working. You HAVE to pump at work, at least for the next two months. And really, you need to pump every 3 hours. And then what happens during the other 12 hours? Are you/were you not nursing him during your time off? Many mamas who work long shifts find their babies cycle to nurse more when mama is home - for you that would be during the day. Can you co-sleep so that baby has better access to nurse when he wants?

Supply will increase, but slowly, so keep on working on it. If it's only been three days, it's too soon to worry - and the fact that you ARE getting an ounce from the pump means you're on the right path. The baby will bring up your supply much more effectively than the pump, so any time you can get him to nurse will be helfpul. Failing that, you need to be pumping AT LEAST every three hours around the clock when you're not at work, in order to get your supply back.

I would suggest, as soon and as much as possible, hang out in bed with the baby, skin-to-skin. Use laidback positions to encourage him to latch on his own. Just relax, hang out together, and nurse nurse nurse.

Good luck!

Finally - keeping him on ANY breastmilk til he's 12 months (or older) is so good for him. If you don't end up getting your whole supply back, but can keep him on partial milk, nursing as much as possible, that is still a great thing to do! You will still need to figure out how you can keep yourself healhty & pumping at work, but everyone has to do what they can, kwim?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you for the suggestions. I just finished working 3 12 hour day shifts. Was able to get my breaks to pump and was able to produce 2 ounces every day, more than I was producing so it is increasing! Have a couple days off now to pump pump pump. I'm kind of indifferent about having him at the breast though. It would help with my supply but I think it would be a struggle to keep him there :-(. Maybe will give it a try and see how it goes. I do have to say that it was sooo nice not having to worry about bringing a bottle/formula when we went somewhere! Thank you for the encouragement as well! I am hopeful that Ill be able to increase it more, maybe not to full supply, but I'm ok with that. Some breastmilk is better than no breastmilk. Thanks again for replying! :-)

That's awesome news - good job! I'm really glad you were able to get your pumping breaks. Thanks for the update & keep us posted.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Keep working on breastfeeding...it's way less of a hassle than exclusively pumping!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!