Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 weeks old and tongue-tied

Default Re: 5 weeks old and tongue-tied

when i can, i try and pump every three hours. she's up to eating about 4 ounces, and i'm still only getting about 2 ounces. I try to nurse her on both sides before i giver her formula, then i'll pump and try to get more out. I recently had some pains in my breasts, not my nipples, the actual breast.

thanks everyone who's replied, it's nice to be able to talk to other mothers! :]

You really need to pump more often. Shoot for 8-12 times in 24 hours, with 8 being the bare minimum. If you are exclusively pumping, you must pump 120 minutes total a day.

4 oz is a whole lot for a 5 week old baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Get the tounge tie clipped now and some hands on help with an IBCLC!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Definitely get it clipped now rather than later. My daughter had hers clipped around 7 weeks, super quick procedure, no anesthesia (it was painful but if they anesthetize the baby won't be able to nurse afterward).
    I agree 4 oz is a lot for that little of a baby to be drinking at one session. Can you slow down and take more frequent burp breaks or aim for about 3 oz in a bottle?
    If you're exclusively pumping, you really don't have the freedom to say "I try and pump every 3 hrs" I kept a notebook on the table with the time I pumped and how much I got and made sure 3 hrs never passed without pumping, even in the middle of the night, which meant setting an alarm for a few extra wake ups. It is hard work but I did think it was worth it since my daughter wasn't able to remove enough milk on her own.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.