Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeps getting constipated :(

Default Keeps getting constipated :(

My LO is just shy of 7 months now and seems to be getting constipated at least once a week. We are doing BLS and at this point she isn't getting too much in the way of solids. Is there anything I can do or add to help my munchkin so she is having better bm's?

Default Re: Keeps getting constipated :(

Something that helped my LO was massage to the ileocecal valve. My chiro showed me, and I didn't even think she was constipated, thinking that since she wasn't eating much solids at the time that I took her to the chiro for a checkup, her pooping twice a week was just normal BF baby behavior, especially since she didn't seem to be straining or anything. After massaging her at every diaper change, she started pooping more frequently--could be worth a try with your LO, especially taking into consideration your screenname (i'm a massage therapist too! ) To massage the ileocecal valve, draw an imaginary line between LO's bellybutton and right hip, and in the middle of the line, take two fingers and massage in a clockwise direction. I just do it, like I said, everytime I check/change her diaper.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

What does the constipation consist of? If baby is not straining excessively, showing evidence of pain, or going a week or more between poops, and the poop continues to be soft when it does emerge, it's not constipation. Just infrequent pooping, which is normal for an EBF baby and normal-ish for a baby who is still only getting started with solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She really was grunting and straining to go This is not normal behaviour for her either. Poor thing didn't sleep well last night. The baby sitter said she had a difficult time this afternoon as well, but not as bad as yesterday.

Massage is a great idea. And bicycle motions with the legs after a nice warm bath.

I also introduced a small amount of water or pumped milk DURING meals when we started solids. My pediatrician advised that it should basically be a sip of fluid per two bites or so in order to keep a balance if you're noticing constipation. I wouldn't necessarily introduce a lot of water at 7 months if baby is still nursing well, but it may help just while eating without damaging your supply. Also, are you nursing right before giving solids? And what solids are you giving when you do give them? It may not be much, but if it's stuff like bananas it can stop em up even in small amounts.

FWIW, sometimes as the digestive system is maturing and solids are introduced a baby will grunt and have to work harder for a bm. Like Mommal said, as long as it's soft and not hard or dry or small pellets of poop when she goes it isn't necessarily considered constipation. It may just be her system getting used to having more substantial bms going through.

Hope she feels better and you find something that works for her!

But when she actually DOES poop can you tell us about the consistency? EBF children don't really get constipated. Sometimes with the introduction of solids you do see some. Which can be beat back with more breastmilk and P fruits. Plums, Pears, Prunes. But the consistency is really key to determining it. If it's still normal poop anything from the yellow seedy mustardy consistency to the color and consistency of peanut butter, not constipated. If it's really hard little pellet like poop that is dark in color (like rabbit poop) then it is constipation and you want to up the intake of fluid, more breastmilk, and the amount of fiber, P fruits.
    Known culprits to cause constipation this early in the game are rice cereal and bananas. So if you are feeding either of those, back up or eliminate altogether for the time being.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks everyone! It is still smooth consistency and not pellets. I stopped giving her rice ceral a while ago because it gave her bad gas. She gets some banana but not often. I try to BF her before hand but she has gotten to the point now when she knows what time she gets solid food and won't nurse. I've been giving her some water or pumped breast milk after. I'm going to try pumping and giving her some in a cup before hand as well.

Sweet potato was also constipating for my son. If stools are smooth and not dry and pellet-like, then your baby may just be learning to more effectively void her bowels. Babies will sometimes tense up while trying to poop, and that makes it more difficult or them. Our pediatrician told me to hold my baby upright with my arm under his legs so that he was in a squatting position to help him pass stools. When you squat it is impossible to tighten certain muscles, making it easier for stools to pass through.

All these things were extremely helpful for us too:
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aphimama View Post
    Massage is a great idea. And bicycle motions with the legs after a nice warm bath.

avocado is a great food for combating constipation and it was one of my daughter's first and favorite foods. We didn't do rice cereal either because the iron added to it was terribly constipating.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My third and fourth kids are prone to constipation -- hard pellets of poop -- and I give them flax seed oil to combat it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!