Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen yogurt?

Default Frozen yogurt?

My little guy is about 4 months and for the past couple weeks we've been playing with pureed fruits. I had planned on waiting longer, but he started getting very angry if he was watching me eat, and would just jam whatever he could get his hand on (usually my hair) in his mouth.
    He's done wonderfully with the solids so far, aside from the one time we tried rice cereal giving him a little constipation he hasn't had any troubles. In fact he has less gas on days where I give him a couple spoonfuls of fruit for breakfast.
    I know that yogurt is also a really good first food, but I was wondering is frozen yogurt okay? It's so hot out, and he really likes cold bottles I thought maybe some plain tart unsweetened froyo would be okay for him?
    There is a frozen yogurt bar where my husband and I go, that we trust to actually have plain unsweetened frozen yogurt when they say it is, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has tried this so early in solids before I give it a go to see how it worked for them.

Default Re: Frozen yogurt?

At that age I would be more inclined to freeze some breast milk in an ice cube tray and put a cube in a mesh feeder for something cold.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

cow's milk (including yogurt and cheese) is one of those high-risk allergens. my doc recommended avoiding all of them til 12 months. ... we probably did closer to 10 months, though (for yogurt & cheese, waiting indefinitely for milk). i agree with PP about frozen breast milk.
    Last edited by @llli*auderey; May 21st, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

But because of the culturing process, yogurt and cheese don't carry the same concerns as straight milk. I introduced both around 7-8 months without concern, but still don't give cow's milk at 18 months because of potential intestinal irritation. I would not, however, give any of these things before 6 months because they may still be too tough on a tummy still in the early stages of development.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).