Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clicking, etc.

Default Clicking, etc.

Hi ladies! DD has started clicking a little while nursing, especially during letdown. This seems to be in conjunction with her flicking my nipple around a little with her tongue. I think it's her way of coping with OALD. It subsides as the flow slows. Should I worry about this?

Also - I've noticed that sometimes her cheeks dimple a little while nursing. Should I worry about this? Everything I've read says that cheeks should not dimple while nursing...

She is gaining weight really, really well, seems satisfied, lots of wets and poopies, and I have no pain, cracks, etc. or anything else that would indicate a latch issue...

Thanks for the reassurance
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Clicking, etc.

If you're not in pain and baby is gaining weight appropriately, the clicking and flicking is an annoyance but not a problem, and the dimpling is just cute! It's very probable that the click/flick is the way your baby copes with the OALD, and your baby will probably grow out of it as she gets bigger and stronger and your supply adjusts.

My baby clicked to cope with OALD. It was the sound he made when he got low so he could use his tongue to cover the spray. It's actually a really good sign. It IS a coping mechinism. Another to watch for/anticpate is the "pop off". That where a baby who knows that OALD is coming will take a few sucks, pop off, look at the boob, come back in for 2-4 sucks and pop off again. To avoid choking or sputtering.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the feedback!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135