Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first LLL Meeting!

Default My first LLL Meeting!

Hey, thought I would share.. Tomorrow I will attend my first LLL meeting...ever! This one is for nursing a toddler! I have never attended a meeting before, but I have talked on the phone with this particular leader on a couple occasions when a few major issues arose. But, something about this meeting...and being around like minded moms dedicated to long term BF and child led weaning...is right up my alley!

Here is the invite and description of the meeting:
    "La Leche League of (I took out name of Cities) is happy to offer a regular
    meeting for those who are nursing their children past the age of 1 year-or
    who are considering doing so. Come talk with other moms about the
    particular challenges and joys of "extended" (also known as 'normal length')
    nursing.

The focus of this meeting is nursing past age one, but mothers seeking
    breastfeeding support are welcome to attend with their babies of any age.
    Expecting moms are also welcome.

La Leche League meetings are a free parenting and breastfeeding support &
    information group. Babies, toddlers and older children are welcome.
    Childcare is not provided. Please supervise your children at all times."

Anyway, I am really excited to go! I had NO IDEA there were meetings that specialized in older babies..So that is why I am sharing here. Maybe another mama will want to check this meeting out in her own city! I will report how the meeting goes tomorrow afternoon.
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Default Re: My first LLL Meeting!

I'm jealous! Let us know how it goes.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

That sounds awesome! I wish there was a meeting like that near me. Heck, I wish there was a closer meeting, period! I went to my first meeting last month--45 minutes away! The leader knew my mom back in the day when my mom was a LLL leader. I realized after the meeting that the leader probably met me way back when I was a BF baby--kinda weird!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

I am happy to report I really enjoyed this meeting! There were several babies there my dd's age...still nursing strong! I feel like with my experience I have much to offer, and at the same time I feel like I still have much to LEARN!
    JEN

That's great. I assume you will go back?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Kst7399 yes!
    Brooke, it does help so much speaking to real life women, be they our sisters, moms or girlfriends...but sometimes it really helps being with women in our SAME situation. At least to get feed back, and know were not alone. Funny, the two LLL leaders said they saw This post and asked if that was me.. So now I've connected with the group on FB. There were several pregnant moms, I think at least one was tandem nursing, and many babies my dd's age if not older. Anyway, I'm glad I went, and IF I am blessed with another baby in the future..I will get out of my milk stained pj's and go! I highly reccomend it!

YEAH I'm so glad you had a great time and met some new friends!

Yay that is our Group! (Waves) So glad you enjoyed it Jen!
    We have this regular toddler meeting due to mom demand, so I encourage interested moms to ask your local Leaders about doing something similar. Some Groups have a regular toddler meeting and others have occasional special toddler park days or "enrichment meetings."

Also moms can use social networking to create local nursing toddler groups of their own. Or just ask at a regular LLL meeting if anyone is interested in getting together. Don't forget, nursing and not, toddlers and young children are usually welcome at any LLL meeting.

No LLL Group near you? Consider becoming a Leader and starting one.

Thanks Meg!!
    JEN

Thanks for sharing Jen! We have a meeting in my area that meets once a month that I can make it to sometimes. As a matter of fact, the next meeting is next week and I need to mark it on the calendar and make sure I go!! I get very passionate about breastfeeding and baby-wearing and all that jazz. It's nice to be with people who feel the same.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03