Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Baby is Eating More Than I'm Pumping!

Default Re: My Baby is Eating More Than I'm Pumping!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizzie.s.mom View Post
    Any suggestions on approaching my care provider about properly feeding my baby without insulting her? She has 13 years of experience and I trust her, but I don't want to cause any issues, especially since I just started using her recently.
    Why not print out and bring her this http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf
    and/or the kellymom article and simply ask that she follow these suggestions for feeding your baby? I am sure in 13 years she has gotten all kinds of requests from parents, you are the customer, essentially, the boss, in this situation, so unless a request is unsafe or impossible I doubt she would have an issue with compying with it even if she has until now done things differently. Also you may want to ask her if there is ever any leftover milk in the bottle and what she does with it. The latest reccomendation is that left over breastmilk in the bottle need not be discarded, it can be refridgerated until the next feeding. Formula cannot, nor can it be saved if the breastmilk was mixed with formula.

I do think that 12 ounces in 9 hours is a reasonable amount for a baby to be drinking though. And 3 ounces is not a crazy amount.

Can you try pumping on the weekends to see if you can get a little extra? It sounds like you are short about 2 ounces a day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I used to do something similar to this when I would come up short:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    what i would do was nurse the babe to sleep, have a snack, take a relaxing warm shower, then pump while watching some trashy TV and drink a BIG glass of water.
    I think it is uncommon, but I couldn't think about my baby when I pumped. I would stress out thinking about how important it was to get milk for him. I had to put a movie on my iPad or turn on some music and read in order to forget about the pumping and relax enough to get a letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    I used to do something similar to this when I would come up short:

I think it is uncommon, but I couldn't think about my baby when I pumped. I would stress out thinking about how important it was to get milk for him. I had to put a movie on my iPad or turn on some music and read in order to forget about the pumping and relax enough to get a letdown.

yep it's all about what will get you to RELAX and go to your happy place, for me it was reading trashy novels at work and watching trashy tv at home
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I'd also suggest an occassional "power-pump" session when you can fit it in...sit on the couch, turn on some relaxing TV or read a good book and pump for 2-3x's as long as you normal do. It normally takes me 30 minutes to empty my breasts (and that's with hand compressions!). So I'll pump for an hour every few nights. The next day after I do an extra long pumping I have plenty of milk. I also pump on the weekends and try to pump every night after the kids are asleep.
    Best of luck!

Have you tried Fenugreek? It's an herb sold at Whole Foods, it helped me increase my milk quite a bit. I had hospital complications after the birth of my daughter and I almost stopped producing milk - this boosted me back to an abundant milk supply!