Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply dropped after going back to work

Default Milk supply dropped after going back to work

Hi! I went back to work 2 weeks ago. Before I went back when I would pump I would get 5-6 oz total now I'm barely getting 3oz! What's going on?? My ds also is not wanting to take my breast during the day. He will at night though. During the day he cries and thrashes. I don't Know what to do!

Default Re: Milk supply dropped after going back to work

This happened to me. I ended up having to pump more often and for longer. Luckily I am able to pump at my desk and work while I pump. My son did the thrashing thing and with the help of this board I hung in there and made sure not to offer any bottle while I was with him and he got over it. I'm sorry this is happening to you. It really sucks! Hugs your way!!

P.S. when I say I pumped more often and longer I went from pumping 4 times for 10 minutes at work to 5 times and 15 minutes each time.
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

It can be frustrating, especially when you're having difficulties with nursing at home and probably wondering if the two are related.

How old is your son? Mine stopped being interested in nursing during the day between 4-5 months, too interested in the world. We had to move the day nursings to a quiet, darkened room before naps.

At work, try to relax, look at pictures or videos of your son. Imagine nursing him. This has helped when I pump at work & not getting too much. I also find drinking 8-12 oz of water about 20 min before pumping helps. Are you getting 3 oz total per pump session or per day? Per session seems adequate. Until the last few weeks I was down to 3 oz per session since january (when my son was 3 months).

I agree with previous suggestion, try to fit in another session & longer. Another suggestion is to make sure you keep pumping a few minutes (I do 3-5) after you see the last drop. A lot of the time when I do this I actually have another let down & gather another 1-2 oz. You want to make sure you get the milk out so your body isn't being signaled that's all that needs to be made. Remember the old adage "Milk in, milk out." However much is taken out is how much your body will make. Hang in there!

Hi mama,

PP suggestions are good. can you tell us what kind of pump you have, how often & how long you pump, how long and how often you're away from baby and how much you pump during that time, and how much baby takes during that time, any other details you can think of? Those will help us give more specific advice.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

oh yeah, any antihistamines, decongestants, caffeine increase? Yesterday I had 2 extra cups & was about 5 oz short of total for a 12 hr day.

Thanks for all the suggestions! My son is 12 weeks and I use a Medela pump in style advance w
    I was getting 3 oz total per session. 1 oz from my left and 2oz from my right. When I worked on Saturday I pumped on my way to work, 3 times at work and once on my way home. I feel like it has increased my supply because now I'm getting 4oz instead of 3. As for my issues with nursing during the day I have not been giving up and he eventually takes it. I think things are getting better !