Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing to nurse because of oversupply.

Default Refusing to nurse because of oversupply.

My 11 month old is starting to refuse to eat more and more due to oversupply/letdown issues. He is hungry, but when I put him to latch on he get's hysterical. What can I do?

Default Re: Refusing to nurse because of oversupply.

how frustrating, just when it's supposed to be getting so much easier!

but what, specifically, has changed? is your oversupply worse now than it used to be? is he less patient with it? how were you handling the oversupply before, or is it suddenly new (which would be kind of weird, unless you're doing something to stimulate a lot of milk production like pumping a ton)? is he just distracted?

How much is he nursing? how much solids?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Wait, he's 11 months? In your other post you said 11 weeks. I assume there's a typo in one of your posts...

With an 11 week old baby, positioning and timing is often key to dealing with breast refusal. Adopt reclined nursing positions so that gravity will slow the milk flow, and offer to nurse before baby is really hungry (hungry babies often do not have the patience to latch on).

What are you doing about the oversupply issue, mama?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I always had to let the initial let down flow into a burp cloth. Otherwise my LOs would also become inconsolable
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    With an 11 week old baby, positioning and timing is often key to dealing with breast refusal. Adopt reclined nursing positions so that gravity will slow the milk flow
    OALD almost ruined my nursing relationship, and this is the only thing that worked for me. I would lean back on a couple pillows, put my baby on my chest and let him latch. It saved us!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Wait, he's 11 months? In your other post you said 11 weeks. I assume there's a typo in one of your posts...

With an 11 week old baby, positioning and timing is often key to dealing with breast refusal. Adopt reclined nursing positions so that gravity will slow the milk flow, and offer to nurse before baby is really hungry (hungry babies often do not have the patience to latch on).

What are you doing about the oversupply issue, mama?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!