Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Milk supply suddenly low!

Default Help! Milk supply suddenly low!

This morning I woke up and decided to pump my left breast since lo nursed off the other breast dyring the night. This meant my left breast was left alone for over 9 hours! To my surprise after 20 minutes of pumping i just managed to pump a little over 2 oz

Even when not engorged i have been able to pump up to 3+ oz in less than 10 minutes! Throughout the day my breast have felt empty. My lo has been nursing for shorter periods of time these past couple of weeks. I mean short short times...like as soon as let down is over he starts fussing and pulling off. Diaper output is good, in the past two weeks hes gained over 12oz.
    Im really worried. Just right now i tried pumping on that same breast and i didnt even get half an ounce. The last feeding off this breast was less than 3 hrs ago. This is scary! I do have a strong let down and what i thought was os. But right now i dont know what to think. Im sooo scared because feeding time is coming up in a bit and what if i dont have any milk? I do have back up in the freezer, but i cant bring myself to grasp the thought of not having milk.

The pump i used earlier was APY. It was my first time using it. Aftet i noticed that nothing was coming out i switched to my manual ameda pump...and got the same result. I expressed my concern to my hubby and he got online right away. Stress seems to be a big factor in milk reduction according to his findings.. i have been dreading going back to work.

Please , any advice is very much appreciated!!
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven

Default Re: Help! Milk supply suddenly low!

I doubt that stress could cause such a big reduction. Have you been nursing a lot? Could your baby be going through a growth spurt and maybe there's not much left? Another possibility would be a clogged duct, which can also reduce supply suddenly, especially if you got engorged after a long period of not emptying the breast. Normally, your breast would have a tender or red spot, and might feel full, but nothing's coming out.

Also, I have to ask - could you be pregnant?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

At any rate, don't stop nursing. It seems very possible that this is an issue of responding to the pump, not necessarily milk supply in a broader sense.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No pg. Last time we were intimate lead to premature labor and tadahhh...my lo was born less than 24 hrs later. Growth spurt ? He hasnt feed more than he usually does (8-9xs per day) i will keep nursing as suggested but just in case ill take some baggys out of the freezer.
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven

No plugged ducts either.
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven

Well, if you're nursing him, and he's producing wet and dirty diapers in normal amounts, then it's not your supply that is the problem - more likely a pump issue. Especially since this is a new pump for you - you may have improperly sized shields, etc. Also, note, being able to pump 3 oz in less than 10 minutes is great, but that's usually associated with oversupply. Since you're currently pumping in addition to nursing, 2 oz is pretty normal. This may just be your supply evening out a bit. Don't panic! Just keep doing things as normal, nurse nurse nurse, and see how things look tomorrow. Everyone has bad days with the pump, that's really common. Hopefully that's all this is.

So, since pregnancy is out, what about PMS or your cycles returning? That can also cause a decrease, but it's very temporary and usually nothing to worry about.

You can call me JoMo!

I wonder if the horns aren't the right size. Some moms have a hard time pumping and nursing. For them, it works better to pump at work.

My first thought was simply that your supply has evened out for the most part. If your horns are the right size, then you will have an easier time pumping at work and nursing at home.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Try not to worry too much . I had an off night like that just a few nights ago (DD nursed on one side then refused the other at next feeding, I was frustrated and decided to pump but didn't get much, etc.) and everything seems back to normal now. I also have OALD and a little OS so I think it was just a combination of things, including my supply evening out (I'm not feeling as engorged anymore, etc.). I tend to to be unable to pump much immediately after a feeding (even on the unused side) but have noticed that if I wait about 30 or 45 minutes and THEN pump the other side with a new letdown, I get my normal amount. And like the other posters said, it could be a technical issue with the pump, too. My DD also tends to be a little fussy a the breast sometimes which leads me to believe all sorts of things that probably aren't true about my supply when really she's just being a normal baby. Just keep nursing and I'm sure things will get back to normal. Maybe experiment with the pump a little more or pump parts like previous posters said. But just hang in there and try not to worry!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I did get a cycle at the begining of last month..and according to my count it should arrive any day now. I will keep that in mind. I have been starting our feedings w the weaker side. Lo falls asleep and i switch to the strong side. Then after i pump for about 10 min, and again less than half an ounce:-(. I go back to work on monday, i hope things get better. Ive always used the 30.5 fit for the pump wout a problem. I am tracking lo diaper output today since yesterday was when this all started. Idk what makes me feel better....having my supply even out and feeling " empty" or having os:-(.

Thanks for your support and suggestions! I will let you know how this plays out!
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven

Well milk is still low comparing to what it used to be diaper counts were as follows the last 2 days: 6 wet 4 stools. I have been starting all feedings w the weaker side, and switching over to the strong side after 15 min. I can hear him actively swallow the first 5 min....and then nothing. Im pumping for about 10 min too on that side and get about an ounce or less. Right side is still strong. So i guess if left side eventually gives out i could just bf from one side lol!
    I am so blessed!

08-31-01
    02-13-12

2 's in heaven