Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Agressive ductal thrush - now on the other side?

Default Agressive ductal thrush - now on the other side?

Well, I'm back.

I'm the one with the recurrent mastitis (?) on the left side that came back after 4 rounds of antibiotics. It eventually cleared after we saw an LC and I added some suppliments and adjusted my diet and had his tongue tie clipped.

Two days ago, the infection was back, but this time it is on my (previously healthy and normal) right side. I am red, rashy, swollen and painful to the touch from my waist up under my breast, all over my breast, up to my armpit. I have taken a 300mg loading dose of Fluconazole and will be taking it at a 50mg dose twice daily for the next two days, but this is the worst one I have seen. I am really pissed off. I have tried topical lotrimin, coconut oil, taking GSE, ACV, zyflamend, vitamin c, evening primrose oil, my diet is essentially carb- dairy- sugar- and alcohol-free. Bubs is almost 10 months old and honestly I am less broken about weaning now than I was at 4 months but it is still very emotional for me. I never thought I would be forced to wean by my body. It's not the relationship I've wanted—but nothing is working. It's been 10 months and nothing at all has worked.

Any advice would be appreciated. Even just someone to tell me I am not a terrible mother for giving up now. It hurts so much. I'm achy all over and my heart is broken.

Default Re: Agressive ductal thrush - now on the other side?

I'm so sorry. I totally understand why you would consider weaning. So have you had mastitis or thrush? I think they are different- mastitis is infection that clears with antibiotics. Thrush is yeast that can be caused by the antibiotics but treated with the flucanazole antifungal. So I wonder is these two issues are related or totally separate. Are you any better after the flucanazole?

I really don't know at this point. I had four courses of heavy antibiotics to essentially no effect and am now trying the thrush treatment route. But nothing has really changed yet. Nobody can figure out what the problem is. :/

If its thrush, it makes sense that antibiotics didn't work...thrush is a fungus, and antibiotics won't work on those. Hopefully this works for you.

Don't know why some moms struggle with thrush...has your baby been treated as well?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

He's going to be, apparently the pharmacy is out but will have the stuff tomorrow.

Haven't nursed since 7am on the right side, and the nipple/areola is too swollen to fit in his mouth. Right breast is about twice the size of the left but the nipple is covered with scabs and skin. Ugh.

mama that sounds so painful.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes. It is not how I pictured our nursing relationship going, or ending. I'm very broken up about it needless to say. As nice as you all are here and as wonderful as my husband and family are, there still are people to say formula is poison. Junk food. Only what lazy moms do. But what else can I do? Poison my child, or don't feed him at all? I wish bottle/breast wasn't so damn polarizing. *sigh*

Can you pump on that side to keep supply up if baby can't nurse there?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I can't. It's just too painful. I'm covered in cabbage and ice packs now. Nothing left to do but wait it out over night and take my next dose. Right now I can only nurse on the left breast, which feels just fine.

How are you doing today?