Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerned with a question

Default Concerned with a question

Later last week, we kind of came to the conclusion that I have too much milk. So I started block feeding my lo. I am concerned that with block feeding as well as her putting more time in b/w feedings that I will lose my supply. Also, I am starting to work out in the mornings (from about 8:30 am to 10:30 am). Is this going to have an effect on my supply as well? I won't be pumping or anything. Lo is fed at 7am first. I am worried that all this time will destroy my supply.

Default Re: Concerned with a question

Hi Mikina,

NAKing...so bear with me...

Block feeding is designed to reduce an oversupply of milk...so yes, your supply will go down. If too much milk is your problem, that will be a good thing.

As you block feed, it is a good idea to keep track of LO's wet and poopy diapers, to make sure she is still getting plenty to eat.

As far as working out in the mornings is concerned, it really depends on whether or not LO is nursing during that time of day. If she regularly nurses a great deal during those hours, you and she will have to do some adjusting to make sure that she is getting the nutrition she needs and that you won't get engorged. Does that make sense?

HTH,

Tiana

Yes, it does make sense. Not to worry about the mornings, my hubby will feed her during that time! Just to be sure I have this right, If I feed her for about 10-12 minutes on one side at a time, my supply won't disapear completely, right? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikina View Post
    Just to be sure I have this right, If I feed her for about 10-12 minutes on one side at a time, my supply won't disapear completely, right? thanks
    Nope. You're just ensuring that she's getting both foremilk and hindmilk. As long as she is content to nurse on that one breast, you can let her nurse there for an hour if she wants! If, after a while, you start to notice that she isn't swallowing on the first breast anymore, and she seems to be unsatisfied, then you can switch her to the second breast. Many moms find that they are able to give up block feeding eventually...whether it is in a few weeks, or a few months.

As for your morning work-out, your body will adjust to not nursing or pumping during that period of time, but until it does, keep close tabs on how your breasts feel to avoid engorgement. If you can nurse LO before you go, so much the better.

HTH,

Tiana