Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: length between feedings

Default length between feedings

Hi ladies. I know I've posted about this before, but I guess I need a little more reassurance. DD is almost 5 weeks old. Diaper output great. Born at 7 pounds, 8 pounds at 2 weeks, and 9 pounds, 2 ounces at 4 weeks. I know I have some OALD (a whole other story) and perhaps a little oversupply (she doesn't always take both breasts)...not sure. Anyways, we've had a few nights like last night where DD will go down for bed around 10pm, wake to nurse around 1:30am or 2, back to sleep, then wake around 4:30am or 5am and act hungry but latch on and when the milk starts flowing screams and refuses to nurse (not sure why, either OALD or not hungry and just tired and wanted more sleep?). Last night, at the 2am feeding, she nursed on the left side (i offered the other but she refused and passed out). Since she refused to nurse when she woke around 5 (DH ended up getting her back to sleep as I was getting frustrated) she slept until I woke her around 7am. So the right breast went from 10pm to 7am with no stimulation. Is that OK? Should I pump when this happens? It didn't feel too full, surprisingly. It worries me that this will decrease my supply. She sleeps a lot during the day and I wake her to nurse every 2.5 or 3 hours with varying levels of success .

For what it's worth, with DS I ended up exclusively pumping from about 6-12 months. By the time I stopped, I'd gone several months without pumping at night and would go almost 12 hours without pumping overnight and would get almost 8 or 9 ounces from each breast in the mornings with no effect on supply. But I felt really full then, too. I suppose I'm comparing apples to oranges though as these are different situations.

Just needing some guidance as how to handle times when she refuses to nurse when the previous feeding was only on one side...It makes me feel anxious and want to pump to maintain supply but this could be all in my head and unnecessary. I guess I'm having trouble trusting nature...

Sorry so long. Thanks!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: length between feedings

I also have OS and OALD still. My daughter is 11 weeks old and still only takes one side per feeding. Actually, I block feed for about 2 hours on one side (which is usually only during the day). I have no issues with feeling engorged anymore but when I did, I would express a small amount of milk just until I was comfortable. Do you co-sleep? I have found that side-lying nursing and co-sleeping have made our nursing relationship tremendously more enjoyable for both of us. I also have a toodler so I know it's not possible for every feeding, but it has helped so much at night.

i would think, if you're concerned you have OS, that you would not want to pump overnight when this happnes, because that will encourage the oversupply. at 5 weeks you're really just starting to get the supply regulated, and remember that you really only want your body to make as much as she needs!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for the feedback! We don't co-sleep, it doesn't work for us, but I tried side-lying nursing for naps today and it was more pleasant. Perhaps I will try this at night, even though we don't co-sleep. Honestly I think the OALD is more the issue than the oversupply. From what I understand your breasts can feel less engorged with subsequent children, but I guess I was just surprised that I didn't feel full after such a long stretch on that one side. Hopefully it was just an "off" night. DD did have her second Hepatitis shot on Monday so perhaps that was a factor.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135