Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re-lactating

Smile re-lactating

My baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow. I breastfed her right from the start. We had a few latch issues in the beginning but with a little help from a lactation consultant at her pediatrician's office they were fixed. Night time and through the day until about 4pm we were doing great. However my 6.5 year old daughter would get home from school and I felt overwhelmed. Breastfeeding kept me in a chair and my daughter was acting out for attention and knowing that mommy couldn't punish her from a chair and when I was done nursing I would have forgotten about what she had done. I was struggling to get her homework, bath, dinner and into bed on time for a decent night of sleep. I was breaking down crying every night because I couldn't do it. My husband was supportive but he works late and was never home when I needed the help. I decided to stop breastfeeding 9 days ago. Things did get easier but I regret the decision. I feel like I didn't stick it out long enough and look for other ways to get through the afternoon. So I've decided to start breastfeeding again. Being it's only been 9 days I'm sure it wont be hard to get my milk back up. I know some women start re-lactating from no milk at all. So now I get to do a whole lot of pumping, with a manual pump. Every 2 hours for 15 minutes each. I cant afford an electric pump which would be much easier and probably more productive but I am determined to breastfeed again. I miss hearing her swallow when I was feeding her. the swallow from a bottle doesn't compare to the sound from breastfeeding. I got 1/2 an ounce from my first pumping and it's almost time to pump again. Wish me luck ladies, I sure need it.

Default Re: re-lactating

We definitely wish you all the luck in the world! I can completely understand why you stopped- it is really hard to manage 2 kids when one is a newborn and the other is acting out. Is there any way for you to get help in the afternoons? Friends, family, church group?

Will your baby still latch on? A lot of moms in the relactation process think that they need to increase their milk supply before putting the baby back to the breast, but in fact the process works better and faster when mom nurses baby in conjunction with pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    We definitely wish you all the luck in the world! I can completely understand why you stopped- it is really hard to manage 2 kids when one is a newborn and the other is acting out. Is there any way for you to get help in the afternoons? Friends, family, church group?

Will your baby still latch on? A lot of moms in the relactation process think that they need to increase their milk supply before putting the baby back to the breast, but in fact the process works better and faster when mom nurses baby in conjunction with pumping.

Try tucking baby in a sling so you can care for your older kids. That, for me,was the only way to deal with the older kids and have a newborn too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I haven't tried to latch her yet. It's only been a few hours since I decided to do this and she's been asleep the whole time. I figured I will just pump until tonight. Then I will try to latch her a few times when she wakes to eat and I will let her go as long as she will and then I will finish her with a bottle while I pump.

Since you only have a manual pump, I think it makes even more sense to work on getting baby to latch & nurse. Trying to do so much pumping with only a manual is going to be tough. But, if baby will nurse, that will increase supply better than any pump.

Some ideas-in the US, moms on WIC can get free pumps (usually, every WIC does things a bit differently.)
    One of our local breastfeeding coalitions lends moms in need pumps, maybe one near you does as well.
    Often it can be pretty affordable to rent a hospital grade pump for 2 weeks or a month.
    It may help to add hand expression to manual pumping.

Encouraging baby to nurse: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Hand expression: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Until you get comfortable nursing on the go, I wonder if there is a way to engage your daughter in what you are doing more. If she is old enough for homework she is old enough for some explanations and to help. Maybe explain to her what you are trying to do, and why it is important. Maybe explain (on an elemental level) how milk supply/production works, how pumping works, why it is impotant baby nurses lots, etc. Does she enjoy motherhood play, does she have a doll or stuffed animal she could "nurse' as well? Will she do errands for you-bringing you supplies, a snack, a drink, putting your pumped milk in the fridge, taking stuff to the sink to be washed, whatever? Obviously how well this will work is going to depend on personality but it may help to let her see how important she is and how needed she is to help you and her new sibling.

Wishing you all the best! Good for you mama!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Go at this the other way. Take the edge off first, if necessary, with a bottle or other way of feeding (which is preferable), then finish at the breast so baby associates that warm, full feeling with breastfeeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

woohoo!! She was really wide awake earlier so I decided to offer her the breast and see if she would accept it. SHE DID!!! She sucked for a little while 5-10 minutes and dozed off and woke a few minutes later and I tried the other side and the same thing. I didn't hear any swallowing but I wouldn't expect much right now anyways. I was just happy she would still take it. Her latch is still nice and wide, I was a little worried at first because she didn't open much but it's almost like she suddenly noticed what I was offering and she opened right up. We don't have anything to do the next 2 days so I'm planning for us to just sit in the bedroom and have a lot of nursing time before dd1 gets home from school.

AWESOME! great job!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Camp on the sofa after your oldest gets home, nurse and chat. She is old enough to fix a simple snack. I had to pump for my fourth baby, and my oldest was 6 when he was born. He often took responsibility for fixing everyone a simple snack when I was hooked to the pump and feeding baby every 2 hours around the clock. I would sit at the table pumping while directing him in schoolwork (we homeschool) . It won't be like this forever. You will get it down and can nurse one handed...or no handed
    Susan