Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Can't get my son to open wide!

Default Help! Can't get my son to open wide!

I've been mostly feeding EBM to my son and I now want to get him back to the breast. I noticed that he has developed a lazy latch and I just got a blood blister 2 days ago! I have tried stroking his cheek, pulling down his chin, but he just wouldn't open his mouth wide enough to get a good latch! My nipples are killing me now! Any suggestions to get him to open?
    He is 6 weeks 4 days now.

Default Re: Help! Can't get my son to open wide!

Tips for getting baby to open wide:
    - Show him what you want him to do. Even very young babies will sometimes mimic mom's face.
    - Try nursing him before he's really hungry. Hungry babies get frantic and start rapidly opening and closing their mouths. Babies who aren't yet hungry may have patience for repeated latch attempts.
    - When using a bottle, don't let baby use a sloppy latch. Make him open his mouth wide before putting the bottle in.
    - See a lactation consultant! Nothing beats hands-on help when you have a latch issue with a small baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Tips for getting baby to open wide:
    - Show him what you want him to do. Even very young babies will sometimes mimic mom's face.
    - Try nursing him before he's really hungry. Hungry babies get frantic and start rapidly opening and closing their mouths. Babies who aren't yet hungry may have patience for repeated latch attempts.
    - When using a bottle, don't let baby use a sloppy latch. Make him open his mouth wide before putting the bottle in.
    - See a lactation consultant! Nothing beats hands-on help when you have a latch issue with a small baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Also, laid back positions allow baby to latch more easily. Lean back, put his face near your nipple, and get out of his way, it is pretty amazing what they can do on their own.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.