Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still truckin'

Default Still truckin'

Ladies, it's been 3 months today that my little one started striking. We've had a few good nursings here and there when she was alert, and then she got RSV and completely stopped even latching. She will latch and suck frantically every once in a while when she's fighting sleep. She pops off and cries then, and sometimes, gets back on and pops off again enough times that I have a letdown. So when it stops spraying, I try to latch her again while it's just dripping and she does the same thing. But I always offer to nurse her to sleep. And during the day if I think she's hungry or unsettled, etc., I offer. I want her to remember my breasts.

But we're still here! I nurse her in her sleep 5 or 6 times during the day and then 3 times through the night. She gained almost 2 lbs in a month. I make sure I get 8 nursings in, and occasionally 9. I don't try to hit 10 anymore.

She got two teeth last week.

I have never heard of a baby doing this beyond 7 months. So I've got all my hopes on 7 months.

Hope with me, please!! I have been through a rollercoaster of emotions. She is my second and I just used nursing for EVERYTHING for my 1st one, so there are many times that I feel at a loss as how to mother or soothe her.

But I'm still here!! Working hard!!

Thank you for your support!!

Default Re: Still truckin'

.I support you! I am very very impressed and happy that you are working thru this strike. I know that you will come out if it and be oh so happy you stuck with it.

Way too lazy for formula

You are such a trooper, mama! Not too many moms are as dedicated or persistent. Goes to show that moms really will do ANYTHING for their babies!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hang in there.

It is hard when you feel like your go-to tool is broken. I feel that loss keenly myself quite often.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ladies, is 8 feedings still about right? She's sleeping a little less and is also easier to accidentally wake up while feeding. Some days, the 8 feeds are tough! Sometimes during the day she goes 4, even 5 hours between nursing because she's too wound up or won't stay asleep long enough for me to nurse her.

You are a rock star! I've seen your posts, but haven't commented because I have no useful suggestions not having struggled against the kinds of obstacles you've managed to conquer. I did want to let you know that I admire what you have accomplished though!

It sounds like weight gain is great, so she must be getting enough feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    You are a rock star! I've seen your posts, but haven't commented because I have no useful suggestions not having struggled against the kinds of obstacles you've managed to conquer. I did want to let you know that I admire what you have accomplished though!

It sounds like weight gain is great, so she must be getting enough feedings.
    Thank you! I feel like she's getting enough, but some of them are still struggles even in her sleep!! She's gonna be a scrappy one. But it makes me wonder sometimes if I'm still trying to overdo it. Since I can't really wait for her cues like a regular nursing situation, I'm basically feeding her on a schedule every 3 hours when she will sleep and cooperate. No matter what she does, I get 8 feedings into her even if I have to get the bulk of them between 8 PM and 8 AM the next morning.

She still blows out of diapers. I haven't given her any food yet.

If I don't have to hit 8, then I can back off and that might even ease the pressure a bit on her. I am still offering when she's awake and right before I lay her down.

I discovered a small blessing, well sorta. Since I have a toddler too, it is nice that my husband can put the baby to bed. Since the baby doesn't nurse to sleep, Daddy is able to put her to bed while I stay up with my toddler. Trying to find the positive.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midwestmama2010 View Post
    I discovered a small blessing, well sorta. Since I have a toddler too, it is nice that my husband can put the baby to bed. Since the baby doesn't nurse to sleep, Daddy is able to put her to bed while I stay up with my toddler. Trying to find the positive.
    You're doing great. And I would say that this is a really nice silver lining in your cloud. How nice that you have some one on one time with your toddler every day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    We nursed lying down or sleeping forever. It took getting close to a year old and a light switch flipped on - wanting to nurse whenever, where ever. I commend you for your commitment.
    So your baby did this too?? Tell me more!! I have only known of one other mom on here whose baby did this until 7 months of age. I hope we don't set a new record. :/