I came on here to basically write what you posted, mummy2lolo! So glad to read your post. My son is 16.5 months, and I went back to work at 12 months. I used to pump 3x/day but realised that when I pump 2x/day I really don't see much difference in amount. I have been thinking about going down to once a day or none, but was worried about my supply too as I only work 3-4 days/week, and he still feeds a few times at night (as well as in the morning before work, then when I get home and at bedtime). His childcare woman and my husband give him a sippy cup of breastmilk before his nap (they both lie down with him til he falls asleep at naps/bedtime), I breastfeed him to sleep. if you're not keen on giving him cow's milk how about water?
I guess one of my questions for others is do any of you think it will be a problem if I eventually pump wean, but need to pump from time to time to keep some on hand in the freezer for those times he has someone else putting him to sleep at night (which my husband does once or twice a week now) or am I being ridiculous and if he can go to sleep at naptime without a sippy of breastmilk we should just put him down at night without breastmilk?
As for your pediatrician, I wouldn't dump her neccessarily, but perhaps take some articles/peer-reviewed research papers on the subject? My sister did that and it worked a treat! She found the peer-reviewed research papers/articles through LLL. Her doc ended up thanking her and they had a great convo after that.