Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Pump Wean or Not to Pump Wean? When were you ready?

Default Re: To Pump Wean or Not to Pump Wean? When were you ready?

I think I will tell our nanny she doesn't have to give milk anymore throughout the day and can just try rocking her to sleep. Now I know she doesn't need it as she is for sure getting enough when we are together.

Shame on people (especially doctors!) for not supporting nursing toddlers...IMO these are some of the most rewarding times to nurse for me. I am so glad I called my mother after the dr. visit, she gave me a nice pep talk and told me the doctor was completely wrong and that I should nurse my baby whenever and for as long as she needs it. Toddler nursing is WONDERFUL!! OMG I would be lost without this instant soother for toddler tantrums & bumps & bruises. And when we are part it's so nice to come home, have a nice cuddle & nurse and reconnect.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

We are in a similar situation at 13+ months... I pump 3x daily @ work and DD usually takes 3 x 4oz bottles while I am apart from her, but sometimes only 2. She's eating more solids, but not drinking any other milk and not getting a ton of other dairy. Trying to decide if I should substitute one bottle of whole milk or soy milk for one of the expressed BM bottles so that I can skip one pumping session. I used to get around 8-10 oz in the morning session @ 8:30AM, then 4oz or so at the noon session, then 3-4oz at 3PM. I am wondering if I stop the noon session and push back the morning session a little while if I'd still get enough, but am sooo afraid to try it..... She usually nurses 1 time when she wakes up, sometimes once when I get home from work, and ALWAYS at bed time. Sometimes (especially lately - teething) she will nurse 1-2 times in the middle of the night. I still nurse her about 5-6 times minimum on weekends, too. What do you all think... ??
    Last edited by @llli*rdh2378; May 15th, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

*bump*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rdh2378 View Post
    We are in a similar situation at 13+ months, I am in a similar situation. I pump 3x daily @ work and DD usually takes 3 x 4oz bottles while I am apart from her, but sometimes only 2. She's eating more solids, but not drinking any other milk and not getting a ton of other dairy. Trying to decide if I should substitute one bottle of whole milk or soy milk for one of the expressed BM bottles so that I can skip one pumping session. I used to get around 8-10 oz in the morning session @ 8:30AM, then 4oz or so at the noon session, then 3-4oz at 3PM. I am wondering if I stop the noon session and push back the morning session a little while if I'd still get enough, but am sooo afraid to try it..... She usually nurses 1 time when she wakes up, sometimes once when I get home from work, and ALWAYS at bed time. Sometimes (especially lately - teething) she will nurse 1-2 times in the middle of the night. I still nurse her about 5-6 times minimum on weekends, too. What do you all think... ??
    It sounds like you can still provide plenty of milk if you drop one session. I did the same thing (went from 3 pumps to 2) and only sent just a little less milk to daycare. I still was able to send enough not to need a supplement. Your daughter is nursing enough that you don't need to introduce an alternative milk, but you can if you want.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Today I pumped at 8:30 like normal, then again @ 2PM. Got only 11oz total, and DD usually drinks 12oz. (3 x 4oz). I usually have one "extra" bottle from the prior day, too, as a back up. Do you think I could drop her down to 3 x 3.5oz servings instead?

I think that would be perfectly fine. Or two 4 ounce bottles and one 3 ounce bottle (mine usually drank less in the afternoon, so I did something like that). Eventually I just sent enough for two cups of milk and told them to give him water if he was thirsty beyond that.

It sounds like you are getting plenty for a 13 month old from pumping just twice. Enjoy it, dropping just that one pump was liberating for me! Many mamas pump wean altogether after 12 months and continue to nurse for years, so don't sweat it. You are doing a great job!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks! I did 3 sessions again yesterday but only got 2 ounces at my Noon session, so today I am going to try going back to only 2 sessions.

I am a nurse and work 12 hour days on Saturday and Sunday. At 12 months i dropped my pumping to once during a 12 hour shift (my lunch break). Because my lunch depends on surgery schedules(i am a procedure nurse), sometimes my lunch is 8 hours into my shift. I have even gone 10 hours before pumping. I cosleep for the later half of the night(ds starts in his toddler bed) so he is nursing at night and keeping my supply up so i can go long stretches without worry. There is a certain level of uncomfortable if i go to long ofcourse. Ds is 20 months now and i plan to pump during lunch until he is 2 years old. Then i will just leave the pump behind and he can have cow milk when i am gone or have mommy milk when i am present. His choice. For now i feel it is important to have breastmilk when i am gone because at his age he still needs the high fat for brain development, not to mention all the other benefits. So i pump so there is breastmilk for him when i am gone. I bring home anywhere from 6-10 ounces depending on his recent nursing habits and if i pump early (11am) vs late (2pm). I work 6am-6:30pm
    Perhaps you could try a few days of pumping after work or when you get home. Maybe pump while nursing him right away when you get home. Bring your pump those days incase you get uncomfortable and need to take a break at the end of your work day. If your supply does not suffer then go with it.
    Last edited by @llli*bebedeau; May 19th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.

I am a nurse and work 12 hour days on Saturday and Sunday. At 12 months i dropped my pumping to once during a 12 hour shift (my lunch break). Because my lunch depends on surgery schedules(i am a procedure nurse), sometimes my lunch is 8 hours into my shift. I have even gone 10 hours before pumping. I cosleep for the later half of the night(ds starts in his toddler bed) so he is nursing at night and keeping my supply up so i can go long stretches without worry. There is a certain level of uncomfortable if i go to long ofcourse. Ds is 20 months now and i plan to pump during lunch until he is 2 years old. Then i will just leave the pump behind and he can have cow milk when i am gone or have mommy milk when i am present. His choice. For now i feel it is important to have breastmilk when i am gone because at his age he still needs the high fat for brain development, not to mention all the other benefits. So i pump so there is breastmilk for him when i am gone. I bring home anywhere from 6-10 ounces depending on his recent nursing habits and if i pump early (11am) vs late (2pm).
    Perhaps you could try a few days of pumping after work or when you get home. Maybe pump while nursing him right away when you get home. Bring your pump those days incase you get uncomfortable and need to take a break at the end of your work day. If your supply does not suffer then go with it.

I, too, have been wondering about this. My little man is going to be one in two weeks and I work 12 hour shifts two days a week. I would REALLY love to go down to one pumping session per shift. He has been drinking coconut milk for the last week or or two and loves it, so I will give him that when I am gone. Thanks for all of the replies- it helps all of us that are wondering the same thing!!!