Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some advice. I have so many things going against me.

Default Re: I need some advice. I have so many things going against

Pumping....guys are actually usually really cool with it. Think about snappy comebacks if they are the type to tease, like, "So, making milk is my superpower, what is yours?" or something. Or if there is one you are cool with, tell him you are feeling self-concious about it and have him tell the rest of the guys to shut up about it. That is if they are the type to tease. Most are not, and honestly, most men are either just fine with breastfeeding and pumping, or they are too embarrassed to think about it. Or they are too self-absorbed to really care.

You can try muting your pump with a pillow over it. Some pumps are quieter than others. Much as I liked my Freestyle, it was really loud with a very distinctive moo sound. The Symphony, a rental, and the Limerick, a hospital grade pump I own, are much quieter.

Some moms even go pump in the car. That won't work where I live for too much longer because it will get too hot, but some moms do that for privacy.

Worst comes to worst, your right to pump is protected by law, and if they hassle you over it, it could be considered a form of sexual harrassment. It doesn't sound like that things would come to that though.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

even behind a locked door at work, i got kind of self-conscious with the pump noise. but you can get free white noise apps on your phone, pick one you like, and that should do a lot to cover it up. plus you get to relax to the white noise. good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    even behind a locked door at work, i got kind of self-conscious with the pump noise. but you can get free white noise apps on your phone, pick one you like, and that should do a lot to cover it up. plus you get to relax to the white noise. good luck!
    Or if you are pumping at your desk, turn on some soft music on your computer. I tried to make my pumping time more enjoyable by reading a fun book, etc., to take my mind off of it and make it feel less like a chore.

Going back to your original post, I always had huge oversupply in one breast and then the other one was more "normal" but seemed like an underachiever in comparison, so I can relate. To some extent a difference in supply is normal, and you may not be able to even things out completely. But block feeding on the juicy side and not on the other side can help. I know you feel like you are facing insurmountable obstacles, but believe us - you're not. Your problems are common and easily overcome with a little determination. We do see women here facing obstacles (like a prior breast reduction) that can be truly insurmountable, but oversupply, dietary sensitivities, and feeling nervous about pumping at work - well, many of us have been through these and lived to tell the tale (and breastfeed our kids!). You can do this!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I actually found a good location at work. We have a shower room that has two doors. When you turn on the light a loud fan goes on. So, I lock both doors and no one can hear me!

i just wanted to add that elimination diets can be tough, however i just found a vegan section in a random hannaford by me where they have cream cheese that tastes like cream cheese!!! also country choice vanilla creme cookies are dairy free. it's the little guilty food type treats that keep me sane sticking to a dairy free diet. just beware the hidden dairy. i was drinking fortified apple juice without realizing it for a while

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m11612 View Post
    i just wanted to add that elimination diets can be tough, however i just found a vegan section in a random hannaford by me where they have cream cheese that tastes like cream cheese!!! also country choice vanilla creme cookies are dairy free. it's the little guilty food type treats that keep me sane sticking to a dairy free diet. just beware the hidden dairy. i was drinking fortified apple juice without realizing it for a while
    I've been doing the elimination diet for a few days now. It seems to be working. I got a fruit smoothie yesterday and it of course had milk in it!!

mandy, the shower stall sounds perfect!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mandy02 View Post
    I've been doing the elimination diet for a few days now. It seems to be working. I got a fruit smoothie yesterday and it of course had milk in it!!
    Much better and easier to make everything at home, and take it with you.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97