Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping/nursing question

Default pumping/nursing question

Hi! I have a 10 month old baby boy who nurses like a champ. I recently started going back to school for full 8 hour days 2 times a week. DS is taking solids really well so the babysitter offers milk in between meals/after naps. I know when I am home he nurses a bunch of times and takes a lot more than when I'm not home so should I be worried he is only taking between 10-12 ounces in those 8 hours? He also takes a few ounces of cool water if the babysitter is out at the park.

Additionally, I pump 2 times while I'm gone and I get about 7-9 ounces in 10 minutes...this is just enough to relieve the fullness and discomfort but I get between 14-18 ounces which is substantially more than what he takes. Should I pump out less? I'm worried my supply will drop...I am gone only 2 non-consecutive days so he definitely nurses a lot when I'm home the rest of the week.

I truly believe milk should be the primary form of nutrition until 12 months of age so i want to do the best for him but i DONT believe in starving a child into taking milk...I should add that he drinks out of a regular (not sippy) cup and has never taken a bottle or paci.

He is growing well/gaining weight and reaching all his developmental milestones so no worries there...I guess i just want to make sure that its ok that he is getting less milk while im gone especially because he has cut out all his night nursings.

Thanks!

Default Re: pumping/nursing question

Normal is 1 to 1.5 oz of milk per separation for baby to take. So the amount is normal.

As far as the pumping goes, that is OK too. Watch and make sure it doesn't cause a problem for your baby, but I doubt it will. Save the extra and use it in his solids or something.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!