Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: beginning of the end for 10 1/2 month old

Default beginning of the end for 10 1/2 month old

Hi,
    Well, after 10 1/2 months I think our nursing is slowing down. My baby was in NICU his first week and I had to pump, as they would not let him nurse. But we overcame that and have had a great nursing relationship ever since. However, recently my Dad got ill and I had to travel away from home for 5 days. Taking baby was not an issue, as I was with him in ICU for the entire time and did not have any childcare there. I have a huge freezer stash, so there was no issue of baby having enough to drink while I was gone. And I pumped every 3-4 hours while I was away. But day by day I saw the supply drop. When I came home, he went right back to breast without any issues except biting the first few times. But we are back on track. However, I can tell my supply is still in the dumps b/c he fusses and I have to nurse on both sides (usually I do one side per feeding), and my pumping amounts dropped suddenly (I have new membranes and a brand new pump b/c mine recently died). I take Magnesium and Calcium to cover the hormonal supply issues. To be honest, I really don't have the energy to add in the additional pumping sessions after he nurses and in the evening to rebuild my supply. I feel so guilty saying that, but I work out of the house, my Dad has pancreatic cancer, and I have a two year old. I am still nursing as much as I can when I am with him and pumping every 3 hours at work, but I just know this is the beginning of weaning. I was planning on weaning between 15-18 months, so I will try to make it until then. Has anyone been through anything similar?

Default Re: beginning of the end for 10 1/2 month old

When did you return home?

I would just let him nurse on demand as much as possible. When he starts fussing, switch sides, over and over. That is better than any pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks. I got home last Friday afternoon and was home with him all weekend, but I am back to work now. I know this sounds silly, but can the milk dry up even if he is still nursing (no, I'm not pregnant)?

As long as baby is nursing and nursing well (sucking enthusiastically and hungrily rather than sucking solely for comfort), milk supply will not just "dry up". The are some things that may diminish it though, or prevent it from rebounding, including:
    - taking hormonal contraception, particularly methods that combine estrogen and progestin (like the pill, the patch, the vaginal ring, and the Depo shot)
    - thyroid problems
    - pregnancy (not an issue for you, apparently!)

Generally the biggest barrier to producing sufficient milk is frequency and intensity of milk removal. Moms who don't nurse enough or who are relying on dying pumps- they tend to be the moms who struggle the most.

Sorry you're having a tough time, mama. And I am sorry about your dad. Pancreatic cancer is just the worst. My grandma had it and it took her very swiftly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. . . I will just keep nursing him and pumping with my brand new pump every 3 hours during the day. Maybe after a few days of rest I will add on the additional night pump again. I am not on hormonal contraception and had thyroid problems ruled out after delivery (maybe could have them rechecked at my annual though), so things may pick up again after time. I am having AF right now, so maybe I haven't taken enough Mag and Calcium to prevent the issues there.
    It is hard with my Dad. And he's 1500 miles away, so I will be traveling a lot. Hopefully next time I can take baby with me.