Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm going to cry.

Default Re: I'm going to cry.

Was it Frozen before? Or was is fresh? If it was fresh I would just tast it 1st thing in the morning and if it's still good use it. If it was previously frozen I'd pitch it.

Way too lazy for formula

No no...not frozen. It was freshly pumped during work yesterday, refrigerated immediately after pumping at work, and I took it out of the refrigerator when I left for home at 7:30pm yesterday. I found it at 8:00 am this morning, and immediately put it back in the fridge. Some websites say at 66-72 degrees its okay for 10 hours (certainly less stringent than we use in the NICU, but I have a healthy nearly 5 month old baby). Well, it probably didn't even get that warm for several hours in that insulated lunchbag that had also sat in the refrigerator all day.

It will be fine. If you aren't working tomorrow, then freeze. If you are, use it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My house is also pretty cool at night (even in warm weather) so if it were me I wouldn't worry at all, but I'd use it right away if it passes the sniff/taste test. You'll be able to salvage at least SOME of it, I imagine. My experience with storing breastmilk is that you will KNOW when it has gone bad.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think you may have jinxed me. I read this only to go home and not put 14oz of milk away! Mine had not been in the fridge at all (in cooler with an ice pack) and was bad this am. It is not a good feeling to have to pour that much milk down the sink! Thankfully I have a freezer stash!
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

oh no!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Oh no....sorry you lost some milk. That is heartbreaking. Did you know it was bad because it smelled funny?

I did end up letting the little guy drink the milk the next day. The day after that he pooped 4 times (he usually goes 1-2 times per week), and they were even a little more runny than usual (if that's possible). No idea if they were related in any fashion. He certainly didn't seem to be feeling any different. He was still his crazy little self. May have just been a coincidence. I had 5oz left of it, so I labeled it in the freezer for emergency use only. I have close to 100oz not counting the ~16oz he takes every time I work, so hopefully, as long as I don't get behind him, I won't have to use it ever.