Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to cry.

Default I'm going to cry.

So, this morning, I found my little insulated lunchbag (with 22 oz of breastmilk) still sitting in the entryway where I had set it down to quick change clothes after work last night (first mistake, I usually walk it straight to the fridge). It had been out of the fridge for 12 hours. It was maybe still slightly cooler than room temp but barely. My first reaction was to pitch it, but that was so heartbreaking to me, I set it in the fridge so I could look into it a little more. It smells fine--I tasted it, and I guess it tastes okay too...I haven't really tasted it before so I have nothing to compare it too. What are your guys' thoughts?

I have had such a hard time getting pumping output lately...some days as little as 9oz in 12 hours (I think due to the fact that my little guy is so distractable right now he hardly eats, which is a whole different story). And I just started taking a very low dose of Domperidone, and this was finally the first day I had great results pumping. It makes me soooo sad. At the same time, I don't want to use it if its not safe.

Default Re: I'm going to cry.

was the milk on ice packs?

I would totally use it myself. As quickly as possible.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

yup that was what I was thinking if it was very cool milk on ice packs.. As long as you used it today.

No ice packs. The only thing keeping it cool was the insulation of the bag, and the milk itself. I immediately put it in the fridge this morning. I don't work today, so I have no need for the milk today...I would have used some of it when I work tomorrow and frozen the extra. My guess is, it stayed fairly cold for a few hours, then slowly got closer and closer to room temp. I have no idea of calculating exactly how many hours it was close to room temp (lol I have a leftover bagel in the bag as well that was still cooler than room temp). So, its kind of an unknown.

Hmm. Freeze it right now and use it ASAP.

Or is baby eating any solids? Use it in that. Or bake for baby...some teething biscuits.

All this said....I often leave breastmilk and my horns and collecting bottles in a cooler overnight, and all has been well for 15 months
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

What Susan said - Freeze it and use it as soon as you can. Or freeze whatever you don't need for dc the way that you planned. Breastmilk is really sturdy stuff...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

So to clarify, would you freeze it now, and then thaw it tonight to send tomorrow (to use it ASAP)? Or keep it in the fridge and send it to daycare to use tomorrow? I could also freeze it, and only use it if I have to (keep as an emergency), but then it's going to sit in the freezer for a long time.

I know that DS1 has accidentally found a sippy cup in the morning full of old milk and had a sip, and nothing bad happened lol. Certainly breastmilk has better keeping abilities than cow's milk. But that was only a sip (not an entire day's worth).

He's not eating solids yet. Otherwise that would be a great idea.

if it will all get used up at DC tomorrow, i would leave it in the fridge and send it tomorrow.

if there's any extra, then maybe freeze that now and thaw for day-after-tomorrow?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.