Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    Whatever you decide, I want to say that I think it is wonderful that you are making this and other parenting decision with your DF. I really do think that is important for both your LO and your relationship.
    I take the same collaborative approach, but there have been a few times I have simply had to (I hope gently) put my foot down.
    Maybe offer the tri-vi-sol as a compromise? And say you'd be willing to have your LO tested for anemia if he is concerned about it? I'm just trying to think of what I would do.

    Molly

    Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    My ds was found to be anemic at around 2 months of age, and was put on Poly Vi Sol for iron supplements...

    The first time I gave it to him he projectile vommited, so we started mixing it with 2 oz. of expressed breast milk and he slowly started holding it down (although he fought us over the bottle because it was soooo NASTY)

    I called my pedi and asked if we could stop the vitamins for several reasons...
    1. His poop was FOUL, and very runny.
    2. He fussed for almost 20 minutes straight EVERY time we gave him the the vitamins (they upset his tummy)
    3. I didn't understand the necessity as I was told by another pedi in the practice that babies can become slightly anemic around 2 months and iron deffeciency in babies that young peaks at around teh same time, so it's not uncommon.

    We retested his levels after a couple weeks and they were totally normal, so we stopped the vitamins...He also told me that if they were upsetting ds and he couldn't hold down the vitamins that it wasn't a big deal to stop them.

    If you decide to give her the poly-vi-sol then try mixing it with EBM to avoid a nasty puke...and look out for some nasty smelling poop...the extra iron smells terrible!!!!

    No matter what you decide it will be right for your daughter, but if you're still uncomfortable then try getting a second opinion.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    Whatever you decide, I want to say that I think it is wonderful that you are making this and other parenting decision with your DF. I really do think that is important for both your LO and your relationship.
    I take the same collaborative approach, but there have been a few times I have simply had to (I hope gently) put my foot down.
    Maybe offer the tri-vi-sol as a compromise? And say you'd be willing to have your LO tested for anemia if he is concerned about it? I'm just trying to think of what I would do.
    What is the tri-vi-sol exactly? The same thing without the iron? I would be happy to switch to something that doesn't take like liquid metal (yeah, I tasted it, and I can hardly bear to put a half-dose in her poor little mouth). I think testing for anemia should be routine before giving a baby a "may or may-not need" supplement. Especially with this study about stomach problems, and I think it is commonly known that OVERdosing iron in small children can easily be fatal. But that's a-whole-nother story.

    Maybe I should make another pediatrician appt. just to discuss this? It'd be worth getting it all settled and finding something all of us (me, DF, Ped) are comfortable with.

    Thanks for the "applause"
    I can totally understand having to put your foot down at times.
    I can trust that DF makes totally educated decisions though, so we make a pretty good team usually.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    I believe the "regular" tri-vi-sol has Vitamins A-C-D in it. It is available with iron but you seem to want to avoid that, so make sure you ask for the kind without if that's what you want.
    I think the only vitamin supplement that appears to even be recommended at all by the AAP is Vit. D, so your reasoning makes sense to me.
    I also note that the major manufacturer of OTC tri-vi-sol is Enfamil aka Mead Johnson. I'm sure you don't want to present THIS to your DF (my DH would say I've gone overboard), but my theory is that Mead Johnson just wants to further the idea the BM is not good enough by itself, thus padding their pockets even more and making formula all the more attractive. If that's going too far down the conspiracy theory path for you I understand. But that doesn't change the facts about iron and infant health.

    ETA: FYI, I believe Enfamil also sells a supplement of Vit. D only, called D-Vi-Sol.
    Last edited by mollyb; November 14th, 2006 at 11:22 AM.

    Molly

    Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    May I ask why the pedi recommended the supplements? Is it somthing he feels all BF babies need?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CWMom View Post
    May I ask why the pedi recommended the supplements? Is it somthing he feels all BF babies need?
    Yes. She says that no matter how much the mother supplements herself, there is never enough iron or Vitamin D in BM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,020

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    I have to wonder if there is a reason for that?? Like maybe milk is designed especially with low iron content so that baby can handle it?? Just thinking aloud here...and IMHO, doctors often don't have all the research themselves but go off of whatever the current recommendations are...rather than a case by case thing...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,419

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Yes. She says that no matter how much the mother supplements herself, there is never enough iron or Vitamin D in BM.
    I have never heard that about the iron until AFTER babies are 6months old. Vit D yes but you can get it from sunshine thru a window. But all the AAP books I have read say the iron level MAY or MAY not deplete after 6months. And EBF children MAY or MAY NOT need to be tested ONLY if solids(W/iron ) are NOT introduced and thus there may be a cause for concern. I am very surprised to hear your Pedi is recommending it for your LO as she is so young!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,894

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I have never heard that about the iron until AFTER babies are 6months old. Vit D yes but you can get it from sunshine thru a window. But all the AAP books I have read say the iron level MAY or MAY not deplete after 6months. And EBF children MAY or MAY NOT need to be tested ONLY if solids(W/iron ) are NOT introduced and thus there may be a cause for concern. I am very surprised to hear your Pedi is recommending it for your LO as she is so young!
    I have to agree with this statement. My doctor recommended I start the vitamins for Vitamin D because it is not natural through food, only sunlight (and really it is only necessary for the absorption of calcium). However, she was very specific not to include iron as that is passed through breastmilk. And I do understand that you are a vegetarian, so you should know that I lost a large portion of my blood in childbirth and would have died had I not received 3 units of blood. I should have received more, but did not. So I was seriously lacking in iron and was on my own supplements. If you eat any iron - kale, broccoli, beets - then you are getting enough iron for yourself, therefore do not need to supplement your very young child. I personally did not go with the Vitamin D either, it was a personal choice based on my research and although my daughter goes days without seeing the sun, she has been fine. If nothing else, I would forego the iron because it could do serious damage to the liver if given improperly. Keep in mind I am not a doctor, so you should research iron overdose for yourself.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmama View Post
    I have to wonder if there is a reason for that?? Like maybe milk is designed especially with low iron content so that baby can handle it?? Just thinking aloud here...and IMHO, doctors often don't have all the research themselves but go off of whatever the current recommendations are...rather than a case by case thing...
    The reason there isn't as much iron in breastmilk is because the iron that is there is highly absorbable. The iron from other sources is not nearly as absorbable to an infant. That is why they have to put so much iron in formula. Because so little is actually absorbed.

    also just 10 minutes a day of sunlight direct or indirect should be enough. for vit d

    The Doctor is worried about vit d because vit d deficiency causes rickets. I bet that if mom takes a daily vit d supplement that it would be more than sufficient for baby... thereby rendering any vits for baby useless..... IMHO
    Last edited by peachymomma; November 14th, 2006 at 09:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •