Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

Hi! Personally I don't give my DD (now 7 weeks) any vitamins. I was told to give her 0.3ml of Tri-vi-Sol by one pedi... Then she choked on them, had to call 911 and be admitted to the hospital. (sorry got off topic there)
    I swutched docs and they said its not that big of a deal and i live in northern alberta canada wheres its kinda gloomy all winter. so i know shes not in the sun also im a vegan and they said that if it's not in my BM then she'll survive without it!

Thats My story on the vitamin drops, but whatever choice you make it'll be the best one for your lil one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    . That's why she wanted her to eat the cereal/get used to a spoon. It made sense to me.
    Well all babies will eventually get used to a spoon no matter what age you start using it. My third child did not start solids till 8 months and did not have a problem with the spoon

I also feel funny about going against the pediatrician's advice though... Especially funny about telling her that I want to go against it. She isn't a bad doctor, I really like her otherwise...
    Your ped is not the babies parent. No one can tell you how to raise your child. You really do NOT have to Explain yourself to the Ped. Do research and decide for yourself. You can do this mama
    The American Academy of pediatrics does not even recommend starting solids till six months now. I wonder if your ped knows this. Also by introducing artificial iron you are reducing your childs ability to absorb the iron in your breastmilk. does your ped know that?

Ok sorry if the tone sounds harsh I hope you dont take it as so... I have a nursing babe and three children demanding attention

Quote Originally Posted by LindusandGrace View Post
    I swutched docs and they said its not that big of a deal and i live in northern alberta canada wheres its kinda gloomy all winter. so i know shes not in the sun also im a vegan and they said that if it's not in my BM then she'll survive without it!
    Geez, I like your doctor. Scary about the choking though!!

Thanks to everyone for replies and links.
    Strangely, the links provided actually gave me some information valuable towards supplementing, based upon my circumstances. I discussed it firther with DF, who has extensively studied super-dosing vitamins in the past, and he still thinks that it would be in her best interest to give them to her.

I was thinking, I planned to give her Flintstones chewies when she gets older. Is this really THAT much different?

I value all opinions.

I, too, hope that I have not come across as harsh or bossy.
    A third option, as a pp mentioned, is to give your LO "Tri-vi-sol" (or the OTC equivalent), which does NOT contain iron. I just strongly feel that iron supplementation is rarely necessary and often causes problems, and iron deficiency is so easy to test for, so purely from a risk-benefit standpoint it doesn't make sense to me.
    I think iron supplementation was probably advised before we knew that the iron in BM is so efficiently absorbed, and that's why docs keep suggesting it.
    Again, I hope this doesn't come across as preachy! Good luck!
    Oh, and here is the specific link to info on iron that maybe you didn't see:
    Is Iron Supplementation Necessary?
    Last edited by mollyb; November 13th, 2006 at 02:48 PM.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I think iron supplementation was probably advised before we knew that the iron in BM is so efficiently absorbed, and that's why docs keep suggesting it.
    Again, I hope this doesn't come across as preachy! Supplementation Necessary?[/URL]
    I think the same thing, the iron doesn't seem necessary. But the pediatrician made sure I got the one with iron in it. It really is the vitamin D that I am more accepting of, since we rarely go out in the cold to get some sunlight- should there even be any, under these wintery clouds.

You did not seem preachy at all, thanks for your advice!

Are you in Michigan if so that is where i was born and raised so i know how the weather is i have reletives who have BF their babies there and not given them the vitamin drops the ped shewas going to said that they really didnt need it. And they have gotten bigger and have had no problems. Just some more input

would you mind relinking me the link that suggested supplementing DC (as opposed to the mom)? just for my benefit ~ IIRC the info I found was to have mom supplement... thanks -

also - as I have said many times around here and fully believe - there are no hard and fast rules about any of this parenting stuff (if only )- Sinply, what works for you and since you were concerned about the necessity of it all - I wanted to give you some info. and hope something helped you! If it leads you to the direction of supplementing - then that's whats best for you and your sweet babe. But I just want to to feel confident in any decision you make for your child!
    GOod luck! and please do hit me with that link
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my doc said tri-vi-sol (they make it with added iron too). But poly-vi-sol (and the off brands) were easier to find. he said that is ok too... and any extra vitamins will get flushed out of his system and doesn't hurt. some LLL friends told me (as other said on here) that the vitamins aren't needed, and are negative on doctors... but I feel confident in my ped. and extra insurance in his health doens't seem to hurt. But this is just me of course. You baby has special needs and what is best for my son isn't whats best for your little one.

Another difference between poly and tri... the more vitamins, the stikier the liquid, more staining, and stinkier the poo!

Quote Originally Posted by Ria View Post
    Another difference between poly and tri... the more vitamins, the stikier the liquid, more staining, and stinkier the poo!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by blinkinmapple View Post
    Are you in Michigan if so that is where i was born and raised so i know how the weather is i have reletives who have BF their babies there and not given them the vitamin drops the ped shewas going to said that they really didnt need it. And they have gotten bigger and have had no problems. Just some more input
    Yes I am in southeastern Michigan. I really don't think the iron is totally necessary but as stated below, the Vitamin D couldn't hurt under my circumstances. Thanks for more input!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    would you mind relinking me the link that suggested supplementing DC (as opposed to the mom)? just for my benefit ~ IIRC the info I found was to have mom supplement... thanks -
    The link I found that suggested supplementing under specific circumstances was the first one you posted, about Vit.D on Kellymom. Based on the recommendations for sunlight combined with my vegetarian diet, it would be practical to give her Vitamin D. It is the iron I am not to happy about still... Thanks for your info and insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Ria View Post
    my doc said tri-vi-sol (they make it with added iron too). But poly-vi-sol (and the off brands) were easier to find. he said that is ok too... and any extra vitamins will get flushed out of his system and doesn't hurt. some LLL friends told me (as other said on here) that the vitamins aren't needed, and are negative on doctors... but I feel confident in my ped. and extra insurance in his health doens't seem to hurt. But this is just me of course. You baby has special needs and what is best for my son isn't whats best for your little one.
    Absolutely, and thank you for your input! I see no problem with the vitamins as long as they won't harm anything. It's worrying wether the iron will actually harm her that has me so unsure. DF still thinks it is for the best. It's be so much easier to refuse if he backed me up on this, but even after reading the links, info, and books I showed him, he doesn't.