Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

I used the vitamin drops, and I was told to give HALF a dropper, It was for the Vitamin D, since he was a winter baby and would not be outside a lot. That made sense to me, but they were only supposed to last 3 months, and I still have 1/3 a bottle left ( i didnt give it to him every day, but most days). But he is THRIVING without the whole bottle of vitamins, so I wouldn't worry, I think it is a just in case kind of thing
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I give Michael tri-Vi-Sol without iron. I have never seen it with iron. Michael only started getting vitamins at 2 months old. I haven't seen a difference in his behavior and he takes it well. I guess the Poly-vi-sol tastes worse. I give it to him for the vitamin D. From what I read, there really is no need to give vitamins, only vitamin D if the baby isn't exposed to sunlight. Michael was a winter baby so I thought it would be a good idea to give him the tri-vi-sol. It is only vitamin A,C and D. Personally, I thought a little extra vitamin C would help during the winter. Giving your child vitamins is a personal decision. I take all the recommendations from Michael's ped. because I value her opinions. However, I make my own decisions. My hubby is also pro-dr. and wants to go by whatever she says. However, he knows how I am. I had Michael's vaccinations split, don't plan on starting solids/cereals until after 6 months. Michael is just given breastmilk and he is doing well! (knock on wood)
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Wow! I just read through this...it seems like its split about 50/50 here, on peds. I wonder how it could be so different! We actually asked our doctor (family physician) about vitamins around 12 months and asked for some blood testing to check her iron levels, and he refused. Our concerns had to do with sleep. He told me it is pretty rare for a breastfed baby to have iron deficiencies, especially if they were supplemented with solid foods rich in iron. So, rather than go the vitamin supplement route, we opted to increase the solids with iron, and did notice a vast improvement in her sleep patterns.

I have never heard any information to support giving any kind of dietary supplement to otherwise healthy full-term infants under 6 months. My nephew was anemic, exclusively breastfed, and 8 weeks premature, so they did supplement his diet with iron, but he has been fine since about 3 months (adjusted), and at that point, his ped recommended taking him off the iron supplement. His iron levels have been fine.

My thoughts go something like...if you can find a natural way to increase vitamin levels, then go for it. But when it comes to supplements, I am careful myself, about what I take, so I do the same for my baby. If she had a known deficiency, I would do whatever it took, but I would not give her vitamins just because...and I trust my doctor very much. I don't vaccinate either...and he recommends vaccinations. I just don't trust stuff in their developing bodies...that isn't natural!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Well, lots of confusion and questions out there.
    As for policy, the american academy of pediatrics DOEs recommend supplemneting iron and vit d to all exclusively breasfted babies who are preterm beginning at 2 months but not yet to others, though this will likely change soon;
    but the evidence to do this is scant and relies on data of the association of low iron and some delays

Bump for Chan! This is IMO the most thorough conversation we had here. With both sides clearly represented and a LLLeader chiming in as to what the LLL knows about it! Hope there is something here that helps you!

Way too lazy for formula

I'd call the doc and verify what he/she means by "a drop". I can't imagine a physician prescribing "a drop" of anything because it isn't a measured amount. Our doc prescribed the same thing for our LO, particularly since it's winter and very little sunshine (vitamin D). He told us one dropper a day. we don't do it every day because I don't pump every day, and I don't want to give it to her by itself (I tasted it and it's yukky). But we give it to her whenever we have the chance to do it via pumped BM. Her growth is great, motor skills great, etc. No problems with this stuff at all (we're using the Poly-Vi-Sol not the generic).

Here's the same response i gave on an earlier inquiry about Poly-Vi-Sol:

Our doc prescribed the same thing for our LO, particularly since it's winter and very little sunshine (vitamin D). He told us one dropper a day. We don't do it every day because I don't pump every day, and I don't want to give it to her by itself (I tasted it and it's yukky). But we give it to her whenever we have the chance to do it via pumped BM. Her growth is great, motor skills great, etc. No problems with this stuff at all (we're using the Poly-Vi-Sol not the generic).