Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

Default Poly-Vi-Sol ?

I was given instructions by my ped to give DD Poly-Vi-Sol daily for 6 months. At first I was weary, but DF and I talked about it. he prefers to do as the doc says, and I figured it's alright as long as it won't harm her in any way.

Here's the thing, my insurance won't cover it because you can get it over-the-counter. So the pharmacist found the over-the-counter off-brand for me and sold it to me for 8 bucks. I had him double check to make sure it was the same as the prescription would be, and he did, and said it was. But my ped told me that this "Poly-Vi-Sol" was just for vitamin D and Iron, whereas the supplement I have now ("Poly-Vitamin-Drops") has 100% of: A, D, E, C, B1, B2, Niacin, B6, AND Iron. Is this the same thing really? DOes prescription Poly-Vi-Sol have all this in it?

Also, I thought my ped said to give her a drop per day, but the box says to give a FULL DROPPER per day, which is a mL of fluid! Is that the correct dosage for the prescription? Can anyone who has given this vitamin supplement chime in on this?
    TIA

Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol ?

Hey Sasha...I am trying to get everything straight here...and don't want to say anything out of line...but it seems like your pedi is getting you to do some maybe "not so good" things? Rice cereal at 4 months? spoon training? vitamin dops?? Is there a reason he gave you for all of this?? Your milk is more than good for your LO? I will also say that my sis just started giving her LO those drops and he Vomitted...hard...so she is not giving them any more. The only thing that may be lacking is Vitamin D...if you live in a dark hole or cave and your LO never sees the light of day. Anyway...just wondering...sorry I am not having an answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmama View Post
    Hey Sasha...I am trying to get everything straight here...and don't want to say anything out of line...but it seems like your pedi is getting you to do some maybe "not so good" things? Rice cereal at 4 months? spoon training? vitamin dops?? Is there a reason he gave you for all of this?? Your milk is more than good for your LO? I will also say that my sis just started giving her LO those drops and he Vomitted...hard...so she is not giving them any more. The only thing that may be lacking is Vitamin D...if you live in a dark hole or cave and your LO never sees the light of day. Anyway...just wondering...sorry I am not having an answer to your question.
    She doesn't feel the baby NEEDS the rice cereal, she told me clearly that she doesn't need anything but my milk (and the vitamins), she just said it would be good for her to be used to the spoon before 6 months so that she can be ready to use it for solids when she will most likely really need them at 6 months. That's why she wanted her to eat the cereal/get used to a spoon. It made sense to me.

The vitamin drops I have been skeptical about though. I just called the doc and I was told by the nurse that the prescription does have all those other extra vitamins, and that I am to give a full dropper per day. My pediatrician said, when I asked, that it IS necessary for her health because no matter how much supplementing I do, the D and iron won't go through my milk. Plus I am anemic myself so if giving her extra iron this early will help keeping her from that fate, I'm okay with it.

Now DF has a say in the decisions we make for our baby too, even food-wise, and he says we should go ahead and do it as long as it won't hurt anything. But I'm afraid all the excess vitmains will. Maybe I'll try it once and see what happens. But I still feel funny about it. I also feel funny about going against the pediatrician's advice though... Especially funny about telling her that I want to go against it. She isn't a bad doctor, I really like her otherwise...
    Last edited by JustSasha; November 13th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.

per my doc...i give my baby 1/2 dropper of tri-vi-sol which has vit a, c, and d. it's mostly for the vit d but they don't sell ones with just vit d. even though i live in california, i guess it's important, especially during the winter because the babies don't get as much sunshine and supposedly it needs to be direct sunshine for a certain amount of time a day for her to get enough vit d.

anyhow, if you skip a dosage, don't worry. you don't need to make up for it. i know people who don't give it either. so for me, when i remember, i give it. if i don't, then i don't stress over it. also, my lo spits out most of it sometimes

It also needs to be taken into consideration that I do not eat any meat or fish. I do eat cheese and yogurt, but not real milk. I know that a lack of these things can also be a factor in low Vit.D.

Just looking for advice and opinions. Thanks, Tigger, I never would have known that they feel it's necessary even in California! We have long, dreary winters here so maybe I should do as you do- give it when I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Now DF has a say in the decisions we make for our baby too, even food-wise, and he says we should go ahead and do it as long as it won't hurt anything. But I'm afraid all the excess vitmains will. Maybe I'll try it once and see what happens. But I still feel funny about it. I also feel funny about going against the pediatrician's advice though... Especially funny about telling her that I want to go against it. She isn't a bad doctor, I really like her otherwise...
    I guess go ahead and try them...and maybe start out with half a dropper to make sure how she reacts. The extra iron may constipate her...so just watch for that too. Obviously I am not a doctor...I was just wondering about that stuff... sorry if I offended you...not my intention

I am off to the pedi today...so I am just wondering what "lovely" advice he will give me? hee hee...I guess I am of the more skeptikal sort

Without remembering for sure, I think the prescription poly-vi-sol we got had iron, D, and B vitamins at least. I also think the dosage is right from what I remember. Check with your doctor.
    I never gave my DS any vitamins. They were not even mentioned by our pedi at the time so I never even considered that he might need them.
    Our current pedi prescribed them for DD at birth, not because of anything about her condition but because I guess he just prescribes them as a matter of course to BF babies. Well, I didn't really check into it and just followed the doc's advice, or tried to. The first time I tried to give it to her she vomited everywhere. The second time I put 1/4 that amount into EBM and she again vomited everywhere. Well, at that time I threw them in the trash. I felt comfortable doing that based on my experience with my DS.
    Now, I'm glad I did not give them to her, because I've since learned that supplemental iron is actually BAD for BF babies unless there is a demonstrated iron deficiency (rare)-this can be determined by a simple blood test if your doctor is worried or your LO is showing signs of anemia. BM does not have high quantities of iron, but the iron in BM is almost completely available or able to be absorbed by babies. On the other hand, the synthetic iron in supplements, formula, and cereals is absorbed at a rate of something like 10% so they have to give megadoses. These megadoses usually cause stomach upset or constipation (see above) and interfere with one of the antibodies in BM that protects babies from GI distress and diarrhea. I learned these facts from two main sources:
    book: Milk, Money and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding
    online: Vitamins and Supplements
    Obviously, it's your call. But I personally wish that I had been informed of these facts earlier.
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

WyattsMama, you did not offend me. I was hoping to hear a variety of opinions, and I want to thank you for your input!

MollyB, I have heard of, and read about, some of the things you mentioned above. The iron has me very skeptical, especially because I already take iron daily myself. It's kind of strange to me that everything I consume can go through the breastmilk, even flavors, except of course my vitamin supplements. That just doesn't seem right.

In general, what I am concerned about is giving her more than is necessary- such as the SEVEN other vitamins in the solution, NOT giving her enough Vitamin D as a vegetarian, but MOSTLY I am having trouble going against what my ped says is absolutely necessary for her health. I feel like I am a bad mother if I go against what the doctor says is NEEDED, like I am depriving her of a necessity. But my gut keeps telling me taht it is not really needed.

I know how you feel about going against your doctor! But, you don't have to treat it as some covert thing. IME, some doctors can be pretty arrogant sometimes and act all offended if you question their advice. But that is your right! In a nice way, sometimes in a situation like this I will simply say, "I am concerned that this might not be best and I'm wondering if you have any literature or can refer me to any studies or information on the subject." Or you might look at that kellymom link and see if you can't find something to print off and ask her about.
    The problem with the "It can't hurt" line of thinking (which I used to have too, BTW), is that it CAN hurt.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I just want to say I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV ) But I do want the best info for you and therefore, your LO..

Quickly I've added some links that I already had about this subject - there are surely many many more pages of great info out there.

Maybe, if you're unsure, you could take something you find to your pedi and discuss it. I can appreciate your desire to listen to the pedi - but sometimes they are androids when it comes to this kind of stuff. Though they usually mean well...

Vit. D supp.

Vegan diets & DHA

Vegitarian Diets

B12

A quote from this page on Vitamins

If you're worried that your baby will need vitamins because your diet is not ideal

Studies have shown that when a mother is deficient in a certain nutrient, improving the mother's nutrition and/or supplementing her diet (multivitamins, etc.) may be as effective or more effective than giving her baby vitamin supplements.

Good luck -
    Last edited by Number3; November 13th, 2006 at 12:49 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.