Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me again :/

Default Me again :/

I really want this to work but I feel like every step forward is followed by two back. As you may remember from my previous posts, I had major pain/cracking problems that wouldnt heal, well I finally got them healed, but with the help of nipple shields. Anyway, we've continued to be in contact with our LC and she wanted a weight bc of the nipple shield use. She had only gained 2 oz in a week and a half, so we went for a repeat weight and this time 3 oz in a week (9lb 13oz at birth, 9 2 at lowest point, 9 15 at 2 weeks, 10 1 at 3 weeks, now we're 10 4 at 4 weeks). Oh yea, and in the past week I've had mastitis and am in abx. They suggested pumping after every feed and supplementing her. Well the few times we tried she screamed and refused (bottle and dropper). I'm having mixed feelings about this supplementing business. She is kind of fussy and pulls toward the end of her feedings, so i started mothers milk tea In case thats the problem. I burp her everytime ahe gets fussy in it and then put her back on the same side. She's having at least 2 good BMs a day (usually squirts with every feed) and plenty if wet diapers (we cloth and own 18 and have to wash diapers every day to day and a half and every change is wet and she usually pees on us). She doesn't look sick. Could this just be that she's not going to gain a lot? I want to enjoy her and breastfeeding and not feel like its a chore, I'm afraid if I spend all day feeding and pumping I'll quit so I can enjoy her before I have to go back to work?

Default Re: Me again :/

I hate to say this, and not reassure you, but gain of just 2-3 oz per week is really low for a breastfed newborn, and could definitely indicate problems with milk transfer, particularly when mom is using a shield and has pain/cracking. A bad latch doesn't just tear mom up, it also is generally less effective at getting milk into baby.

I think in your shoes I would want to rent a professional baby scale from the LC. By doing several days' worth of weigh-feed-weigh measurements on your baby, you should have enough data to say whether or not baby is taking in enough milk. Diaper output is usually a great indicator, but sometimes a baby can eat enough to stay hydrated yet not take in sufficient milk to grow well.

I know you want to spend your maternity leave bonding with your baby and not messing with pump and scales. Believe it or not, even stay-at-home moms feel that way when they are faced with big breastfeeding hurdles. Everyone wants to enjoy the first few precious weeks with baby! But all moms who struggle face the same challenge: invest the time and energy in breastfeeding NOW, and get the big payoff in the future. You will probably remember this time as a harried and hectic one- it would be even if breastfeeding were going perfectly!- but if you can get breastfeeding going smoothly, in the future you will come home from work and your baby will want to come to you to nurse and cuddle. Invest the time and energy now. It's worth it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with Mommal.

Has she been checked for tongue tie?

I totally get what you are saying about not enjoying things. My fourth son was born with a birth defect that precluded nursing. I spent my days pumping, feeding, trying to nurse, not sleeping, caring for my other kids, and it is a time I look back on with sadness and regret. None of it was my fault, and it was all necessary, but it sure wasn't what I know the babymoon can be like. But if you invest the time and resources now, when you get home from work, it will be amazing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The LC says she's not tounge.

*hugs*

I'm sorry you are going through so much trouble. Personally, I have gone through Mastitis and developed an absecess as well. It's almost 3 months since my daughter was born, and I'm only beginning to heal. The only advice I can give you, is that everything will be alright soon. I know it's tough - I have even pumped and cried at 2am in the morning, wondering if I should just quit. I had supplemented with forumula during my ordeal and while many other mother's might frown upon it, I honestly think it is alright to supplement with a little bit of formula so you can keep you sanity. DH would feed the baby at night, while I pumped. Since I can pump 10-15 minutes and be done, it was certainly easier on me at night. Sometimes breastfeeding would take over 10 minutes just for ONE breast and by setting up a schedule with DH, I was able to get some more sleep and function better in the morning. Getting lots of rest and staying positive also helps you heal faster!

Hang in there! If the baby is still not gaining enough weight, then supplementing (even just for a few days while you get your milk production back on track) won't be a problem.

Have you considered renting a hospital grade pump? I rented the Ameda Platinum Hospital Grade Pump and it is a lot more gentle and efficient at draining my breasts (vs. the small Ameda Purely Yours pump I had purchased at Babies R Us). If you are having problems with latching, perhaps pumping gently for a few nights can give your nipples a rest. Be sure not to go overboard and jack up the suction - I had nipple pains until my LC said it was perfectly alright to lower the suction. "It's not a test where you HAVE to hit 100% suction power!" She said... and I agree

Good Luck and hang in there! Please don't quit. I didn't and all those nights of sweat and tears - it really is worth it! My daughter is doing very very well and the feeling I get, when I breastfeed her, is worth everything I went through! You can read more about my struggle here.
    Proud of Baby

I'm going to call the LC tomorrow but I'm hoping to get some advice tonight. We've been pumping after a few feedings a day (when I have help or can get her to settle) and trying to bottle feed her after she takes the breast, well that's not really happening. I got we to take an ounce once today. She still continues to refuse anything more than the breast, even if my husband offers. I will continue to offer it, but should I be forcing her to eat more?!? Ive also been more diligent about waking her every 2 hrs and not letting her go 3 during the day. I'm so confused and torn.

i think, since she's having plenty of wets & poops, that you should really think about susan & mommal's suggestion of renting a scale so you can do before & after weighs at home. because you need to find out - sooner the better - if she's transferring milk well from the breast. that will give you your answer about the pumping & supplementing.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Get your hands on that scale! You may also want to talk to the LC about a supplemental nursing system (SNS) or Lact-Aid. They are tools which allow you to supplement at the breast with formula or pumped milk. They are useful for babies who are hooked on bottles and resist nursing at the breast, and they are also useful tools for babies who will not take bottles yet require supplemental feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter hates the bottle and prefers my nipples... but if she's really hungry and I'm all pumped out of milk - sometimes we'd do the "Switch-A-Roo"...

...that's where I let her suck on my nipple and just as she's delatching (probably from lack of milk), I'd stuff the bottle into her mouth It takes a few tries, but she'd accept the bottle if I keep her really close to my breast and trick her into thinking it is my nipple.

Now note: I only supplement after she's fed from both my breasts and is still hungry. Then I follow up with a short pumping session to make sure both my breasts are drained (I have issues with overproduction/plugged ducts, so I have to make sure my breasts are being drained after every feeding).

You can try this and see if it helps make feedings a bit easier on you
    Proud of Baby

Good news - gained 5.5oz in 4 days with minimal supplements (because she screamed and refused them). So excited! Thanks again ladies!