Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alcohol and nursing...

Default Alcohol and nursing...

I have been nursing my little girl for 3 months now and have no intention to stop or to use bottles when I am with her. But I would like to drink sometimes, however I will not do so if it could harm her. My husband and mom act as if its the same as drinking while pregnant...

Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Alcohol and nursing...

My pediatrician told me one glass of wine is fine. If it's more than that, you probably should wait a few hours to BF until it's out of your system. It's said that if you feel normal (i.e. don't feel drunk or 'buzzed') you're probably sober enough to feed the baby. Personally, I have nursed my son while having a glass of wine. If I was having more than one, I'd either wait until it was out of my system to nurse again or if the baby woke up before that, have my husband give him a bottle.

The rule is if you are too buzzed to drive, don't nurse. So while feeding the baby is fine and right after you are feeding the baby. No need to pump and dump. Just don't feed while drunk or drinking. So have a glass of wine with dinner. But don't feed your baby if YOU feel buzzed. Make sense? So to really go out and party you should pump and plan to be away long enough to drink and sober back up. I didn't try that until my baby was about 10 months old. And it was really hard. Because I was missing the baby before I was sober enough to nurse. But I had to wait. Because after not being around me for 5 hours the FIRST thing he was going to want to do was nurse. So prepare yourself. It's HARD to be away from the baby long enough to really tie one on.

Way too lazy for formula

i think the too-buzzed-to-drive rule is good. fyi i learrned from infantrisk.com that milk peaks in your blood (and therefore your milk) an hour after consumption.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

When I had a glass of wine, I would have it right after a nursing session (and my girls were on a schedule so I picked one that gave me a few hours between feedings)
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thank you all for the advise. I wanted to wait for when she is done nursing but then I get worried that she will want to eat sooner than usual.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still