Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 Days away and cannot pump to supply

Default 4 Days away and cannot pump to supply

[FONT=Hi I will be going out of town for 4 days and i cannot take DS with me and unfortunately I cannot pump in between feedings so that he can have breast milk while i am gone. Would it be so terrible to supplement with formula for those days. I plan to pump while gone to keep milk up but it seems like i only have just what he needs he is 3 mths and when i pump to give him a bottle while on the road or with family i only get about 3 oz and thats both breasts together any input is appreciated thank you Arial][/FONT]

Default Re: 4 Days away and cannot pump to supply

If you don't respond well to the pump I would suggest renting a hospital grade pump for your trip. That way it simulates your baby as closely as possible to keep up your supply. I can't answer if supplementing with formula would be so terrible. That's completely a personal decision. But be sure yor baby will take it before you go. Lots of breastfed babies reject formula. That would be terrible if you were already gone and he wouldn't eat it. Also be prepared for constipation. Will you have any milk at all to leave? How old is your son?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

He is 3 months old and he has had formula a few times and he didn't seem to mind it also he only goes to the bathroom num 2 like once a week the doc and this site says it is normal and I am going to try to have at least 2 oz of milk for my mom to add to 4 oz if formula. I just don't want to take away from his feeding times i hardly ever pump. Would it mess with my supply?

You really do need to pump while you're away from him or your supply is going to crash and you might get plugged ducts or mastitis. I agree with trying to rent a hospital grade pump and pump every 2-3 hrs. Can you pump in the middle of the night till you go on your trip to get a little more milk for him? Although honestly I'd be more concerned about keeping your supply up while you're gone than what he's going to eat those days (although of course your milk would be the natural thing for him to drink, I understand you don't have the stash built up). Make sure you nurse nurse nurse when you're reunited to get your supply back up.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Getting 3 oz from one pump session - while breastfeeding full time - is about normal. it doesn't sound to me like you're responding badly to the pump, but i agree you need to have a really good pump while you're away. 4 days is a lot at 3 months, and it would take most people a long time to save up a freezer stash big enough to last, so please don't feel like a failure that you don't. I really don't like formula, but one of the reasons it exists is so that our babies can eat when we must be away from them. If you have no alternative but to be away for 4 days, then it is way better to give your baby formula than to not give him anything! You might look in to whether you could get donor milk through human milk 4 human babies (check facebook for a group near you) or eats on feet.

Do you have any flexibility in the length of time you're away? Whether baby could come with you (with a caregiver?) to nurse at least at night?

Do you have plans to bring the milk you pump while you're away back with you? We can help you strategize about that. it would really give you a big jumpstart on a stash.

Last, are you saying you give 6 oz bottles? That's HUGE for a 3 month old. Try giving 3 oz bottles more often - it'll make the milk you do have last a bit longer, plus milk by itself can often be saved for the next feeding, while formula must be thrown out. So if you mix them, you lose the milk.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

very good suggestions above. So, you are going to pump while you are away-yes? Because that is very important for your own health and milk supply! If you do not feel pump is working well, and cannot get another in time, you could try hand expression after pumping.

3 ounces is actually a very good amount of milk to be getting per pumping session, especially when nursing the rest of the day...So it seems to me you would be able to leave at least some breastmilk. But pumping enough to cover four entire days could be very difficult without enough lead time. I agree with auderey, probably a good idea to keep formula and breast milk separate to avoid waste of breastmilk...Good call auderey, I never would have thought of that...

If you need to be away from baby that long, I don’t see how you have any choice...if you cannot pump enough before you go, and donated breastmilk is not an option, formula is the only other option...so, I would not worry about that as there is no sense in worrying over something you have no control over.

You might want to make sure baby is being fed bottles in a way that is more supportive of breastfeeding, no matter what is in the bottle. Here are some ideas that may help prevent over feeding and nipple/flow confusion: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

hand expression: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I have been going at this all alone till yesterday... So i was not aware that if you mix formula and breastmilk together you had to throw it out . No unfortunately i cannot bring him with me and I will look into a hospital pump also thank you for telling me 3oz is normal I thought I was losing my supply, When I nursed my daughters I was only able to nurse first DD I was only able to do so for 6 weeks before having to quit and with second DD I had to have my gallbladder removed and had to wait 2weeks before surgery and the docs said I could not and should not nurse and she was only 3weeks old at the time

I would like to thank u again and I am so glad on registered here for support and I will take every suggestion to heart Thank You Thank You So Much

it sounds like you're doing an awesome job with your 3rd baby! keep asking questions here when you have them and we'll help out however we can!

edited to add: didn't mean to imply AT ALL that you didn't do an awesome job with your first two ... it just sounded like you were sad about weaning them so early, and i wanted to congratulate you on your longest-nursing baby.
    Last edited by @llli*auderey; April 30th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You're doing great. Frequent milk removal is the key to a good supply and you just need to remember if you're separated from your baby that you need to still tell your body to keep making milk by using a pump. Also, I don't know how you're going to travel but when I left my daughter overnight I was at a hotel with a fridge and I put my milk in the fridge and had a little cooler to bring it home in so at least she had it when I got home.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I just thought of another idea-taking the milk you pump the first day or two away and shipping it home overnight to be given to baby for the last two days. There are moms who have to go out of town for business frequenlty and this is what they do. Just a thought.

And yes never take what you pump as a sign of low milk supply! (even if it does go low, and 3 ounces is not low) Pump output is always misleading, because babies are far more efficient than pumps at milk extraction. Plus pumps wear out and pump function decreases without mom noticing-because she assumes the issue is supply. This happens a lot!